Ontopic Mission to Uranus

like every kid doesnt have a pyro phase. pffft

there was a point in time where I had convinced myself that the proper use of RAID was with a lighter. why would they make a flammable bug spray if they didn't intend for me to turn it into a flamethrower?

I liked to pour out significant amounts of rubbing alcohol, and light it on fire.

I thought i was being safe and smart by doing this on the surface of our enormous cast iron stove.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
I liked to pour out significant amounts of rubbing alcohol, and light it on fire.

I thought i was being safe and smart by doing this on the surface of our enormous cast iron stove.
You used to be able to buy salt peter and sulfur at the pharmacy (probably can't anymore). I got pretty good at making black powder and smoke bombs.

that is a remarkably fluid looking robot compared to the other demos where it was chained to the ceiling and walked like someone with cerebral palsy

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke
Remember back in the day when Battletech first came out where the concept of the mech being able to stay upright was based on neural helmets feeding off the internal gyroscope of the pilot.

Guess they got that wrong. That's some damn good AI doing those microadjustments to stay balanced.

Our astronomy club purchased a used plastic portable telescope dome a few weeks ago. Last weekend we picked up the heavy ass custom deck. Today we put the deck back together at its new home and reassembled the dome. Looks pretty neat. Rather spacious inside.

20171118_161702_small.jpg
Our club president is 6'3" and he can stand up without hitting his head with the dome closed.

20171118_161738_small.jpg
New dome and the old dome behind. Still need to do some odds and ends work (proper posts in the ground in spring and sealing everything tight with caulk and foam. Plus mount the pier and telescope, hopefully that will be done soon. There's already a concrete pier in the ground. Few threaded rods, metal plate, and weld a steel pipe and she should be up and running.

Our astronomy club purchased a used plastic portable telescope dome a few weeks ago. Last weekend we picked up the heavy ass custom deck. Today we put the deck back together at its new home and reassembled the dome. Looks pretty neat. Rather spacious inside.

View attachment 2334
Our club president is 6'3" and he can stand up without hitting his head with the dome closed.

View attachment 2335
New dome and the old dome behind. Still need to do some odds and ends work (proper posts in the ground in spring and sealing everything tight with caulk and foam. Plus mount the pier and telescope, hopefully that will be done soon. There's already a concrete pier in the ground. Few threaded rods, metal plate, and weld a steel pipe and she should be up and running.

Cool , looks suitably remote and free of light pollution ?
[ I know this because I have an astrophysicist drinking buddy , that's right , birds of a rare feather flock off together ]

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
Cool , looks suitably remote and free of light pollution ?
[ I know this because I have an astrophysicist drinking buddy , that's right , birds of a rare feather flock off together ]
Yes. Pretty much most of Maine has dark skies. I live a northwest of the marker and see some light domes but it isn't overhead yet, more like 20-30deg.
lightpollution.png

Not sure if this is actual science, but it is the most interesting engineering related thing I've seen in a year or two. I need to run it by some CE folks and see what they think

http://www.domegaia.com/

Videos are kinda hit or miss, but if you skip the first two minutes or so of this you'll get to the meat of the thing.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots