Ontopic Mission to Uranus

Out of all countries launch facilities, I think Japan's wins as the most photogenic.

171012164827-05-week-in-photos-1013-restricted-super-169.jpg

So both LIGO and Virgo detected gravitational waves, and they found the origin with different types of telescopes. 2 neutron stars colliding/merging in a galaxy 130 million light years away. Un-fucking-beliavable.

https://www.space.com/38469-gravitational-waves-from-neutron-stars-discovery-ligo.html

Somewhere in the universe, an interstellar criminal mastermind is smiling that his plan to great megatons of gold from the destruction of two dying stars has worked.

• Gravy
Reactions: MacG
Have you all seen the ligo engineering to keep it completely and utterly vibration free? Its amazing.

Its suspended on this web of glass fibers, which are vibration damped, and then the whole thing is optically stabilized on a 30 ton table with sub micron accuracy, Which is in a magnetically levitating room.

The device is the stillest thing on earth. it moves less the molecules in warm air do.

Have you all seen the ligo engineering to keep it completely and utterly vibration free? Its amazing.

Its suspended on this web of glass fibers, which are vibration damped, and then the whole thing is optically stabilized on a 30 ton table with sub micron accuracy, Which is in a magnetically levitating room.

The device is the stillest thing on earth. it moves less the molecules in warm air do.

Its always just a little disappointing to me that things on the cutting edge never look as impressive as the description for them sounds.

In my head, that description makes me think we found a way to create silicon based life and made spiders to weave glass webs around the detector, then its held up on a free floating magnetic bed you could walk under if you wanted to. All the while there is a steady WHRrmmm... WHRrmmm... WHRrmmm... that you feel in your chest more than you hear emanating from the magnets holding up the bed. Due to some strange quantum interference in the cobalt eaten by the glass spiders the glass silk emits a low blue light just slightly out of phase with the magnet's thrumming.

Instead I know its a box in a room that looks like... A box in a room with some wires going in and out of it.

Its always just a little disappointing to me that things on the cutting edge never look as impressive as the description for them sounds.

In my head, that description makes me think we found a way to create silicon based life and made spiders to weave glass webs around the detector, then its held up on a free floating magnetic bed you could walk under if you wanted to. All the while there is a steady WHRrmmm... WHRrmmm... WHRrmmm... that you feel in your chest more than you hear emanating from the magnets holding up the bed. Due to some strange quantum interference in the cobalt eaten by the glass spiders the glass silk emits a low blue light just slightly out of phase with the magnet's thrumming.

Instead I know its a box in a room that looks like... A box in a room with some wires going in and out of it.
The LIGO is a 4km long laser interferometer. It'd have to be a pretty big box.

No whhrrm whrmmmms. Thats vibratey and very bad.

however, your assessment is accurate. Its a box, in another box, with some wires.

The LIGO is a 4km long laser interferometer. It'd have to be a pretty big box.
nah, the working part of ligo itself is small, its just an interferometer. The giant ass vacuum tubes connecting em dont count. Thatd be like saying your outlet is 800 feet long, cause its connected to the wiring of your house.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

Holywood would make the LIGO in such a way that us nerds would come in 5 seconds.