Ontopic Mission to Uranus

and if you could measure how much energy you have within an item wouldn't you be able to calculate its mass? or am I missing something

but I mean in theory in the sense that you can't just point a tricorder at an engine block and spout out how much energy is in the metal

and if you could measure how much energy you have within an item wouldn't you be able to calculate its mass? or am I missing something

but I mean in theory in the sense that you can't just point a tricorder at an engine block and spout out how much energy is in the metal
The problem is that objects in motion, even internal motion, have additional energy. Everyone always forgets the momentum portion of E=mc^2, but even the motion of the earth whirling through space is going to impart a miniscule amount of momentum to your engine block.

It'll change the figure just a hair, but its still something you'd have to factor in if you wanted an exact count of the mass of an object from its energy.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
The problem is that objects in motion, even internal motion, have additional energy. Everyone always forgets the momentum portion of E=mc^2, but even the motion of the earth whirling through space is going to impart a miniscule amount of momentum to your engine block.

It'll change the figure just a hair, but its still something you'd have to factor in if you wanted an exact count of the mass of an object from its energy.
The calculations can be done because they are the same.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
you know, giphy, I gave you everything you needed, and you give us Jessica Beal giving us the finger, and not Denise Richards and Neve Campbell giving us a boner.
We're done, giphy. I now know how to quit you.