Ontopic Mission to Uranus

Yep.

And Starlink is already helping ground based science too by allowing remote monitoring devices to have access to high speed internet.
uh, the starlink base station isn't exactly a power-sipper. I'd say remote monitoring devices (where power is a concern) are still more reliant on cell network access than they are starlink.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
As someone who actually makes remote monitoring devices...

YEAH BUOY isn't getting Starlink anytime soon, because the application needs 400W of solar panels to generate the ~80W average power that the terminal takes. Meanwhile an Iridium modem pulls single digit watts.

Iridium is expensive as fuck, but it actually fits in our application. Until SpaceX starts making little Starlink modules we can poke on the corner of a PCB, and proper IP rated chassis mount antennas, running them is completely out of the question.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and fly
uh, the starlink base station isn't exactly a power-sipper. I'd say remote monitoring devices (where power is a concern) are still more reliant on cell network access than they are starlink.
No, I mean *remote*, as in no cell service. And as @gee suggested, its all possible with solar panels. Pretty sure I read of a couple projects doing just that a while back.

No, I mean *remote*, as in no cell service. And as @gee suggested, its all possible with solar panels. Pretty sure I read of a couple projects doing just that a while back.
If there's no cell service, as someone who actually works on remote sensing applications, I'd use iridium 11 times out of 10.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
iridium isnt cell. Its satellite. super low bandwidth... but sensing doesnt need hbw