Mirror's Edge

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
I had never heard about this game. In fact, I found it on accident last night while patching Left 4 Dead to make everyone speak German. (the various languages make that game twice as fun, by the way. Russian is interesting) There it was, on Steam, for convenient download.

To say that Mirror's Edge is exhilarating or a breath of fresh air in an industry of stale sameness would be a grotesque understatement. I'm not going to give a long-winded, florid review (there are plenty of those online), but I will say that I'm stunned this game didn't get more press. Or maybe I'm just out of the loop. I remember wondering why more people weren't talking about Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay after it had been out for a while. I found that title on accident too. This is kind of like that, but with a hell of a lot more "wtf".

The in-game visuals and gameplay ooze style and the ambient music puts a nice big bow on the package. Color usage is perfect. The Esurance-type cut scenes suck balls, though. Going from the gorgeous world around you to staring at clunky Flash animations is like getting punched in the face on the cusp of climax.

It isn't a typical FPS. In fact I've found that the best way to die is to attempt to fight the opponents I run into. (and I sometimes literally run right into them). I still suck at trying to wall jump, kick, and disarm people. Incidentally the combat in this game is what gets consistently bad reviews, so I don't feel bad. Luckily combat is not what this game is about.

DICE is a hell of a studio with some great titles under their belt, but holy crap. Where did this game come from and why didn't anyone tell me?

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949457/imgs_1.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/927/927781p1.html

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171234

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/mirrors-edge-review.ars/1

Some people complain that the game makes them sick due the fact you can see the characters limbs come into view like it would if you were the character when moving screws with some people's inner ear. There is a medical term for it but I can't remember it.

I heard about it before it came out , but gave it a pass cuz I heard it was really really short.
*shrug*
I never even tried the demo. I think it came out around the same time fallout3 did.

I heard about it before it came out , but gave it a pass cuz I heard it was really really short.
*shrug*
I never even tried the demo. I think it came out around the same time fallout3 did.

One of the reviews mentions beating it in 6 hours. But honestly, the replay value appears to be really high so far because you're practically Spider Man. You can also have speed contests to measure up against your friends' scores online. You can't play each other, but you can wave your dicks on a forum later.

i heard about this from reading Penny Arcade. I didn't realise there was a PC version though, I thought it was console only. I'll have to check it out.

Wow, I tried playing with a 360 controller and what a pain in the ass. Definitely keyboard and mouse on this one.

Some people complain that the game makes them sick due the fact you can see the characters limbs come into view like it would if you were the character when moving screws with some people's inner ear. There is a medical term for it but I can't remember it.

Vertigo?

I am going to start this game tonight actually. I keep putting it off but after this thread I think it is about time I give it a shot.

I played for about 4 hours last night. I don't get the vertigo thing. I'm having a damn blast with no motion sickness in sight.

It's a bit odd playing a game where you usually have to run away from your enemies, and it gets pretty stressful at times. But it's awesome watching bullets blow holes in things all around you while you're jumping flipping and rolling.

My favorite part so far has to be running from those crazy MGS looking mofo's and jumping onto the moving train from the like 5 story building... awesome

I remember back in the day we all owned a pair of Soap shoes and used to do shit like this, obviously not to that extreme. We called it freestyle walking back then. They stopped us from bring our skateboards to school so we all bought Soap shoes to pass the time. They also tried to ban those shoes but couldn't since we used the "its our only pair of shoes" line. Man I miss my Soap's, those things were so much fun. Fuck those "wheelies" kids are wearing now, you cant do tricks in wheelies!