Mild but entertaining run-in

kunlao21

Giant Member
Sep 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Marklar
₥0
As my 2nd or 3rd thread here, I'll post an experience from a recent dining establishment.....

So on the eve of MLK Day (mere coincidence), Sunday night, approx 6:30 pm. I stop at a Jack in the Box in Avondale, AZ on the way to a co-worker’s house (hi kiwi). I venture on inside and stand behind a Hispanic male waiting for his order.

While walking in, I pass 2 black males, thin build, approx 6’3/4, and dressed like extras from a 50 cent video that were standing in front of what looks like an ATM. It’s actually some type of automated food ordering system I’ve not seen before. The 2 men were attempting to order from the machine with little luck. The taller b/m looked like he was actually trying while the shorter b/m sat down next to their grocery bag from the supermarket across the parking lot. I place my order and lean on the wall and await being called.

Meanwhile, the tall b/m continues fiddling with the machine. The entire time, from my entry to this point, the 2 have been quite loud and obnoxious (but OK by me, as they weren’t cursing and the dining room was empty except for the Hispanic man and me).

On top of being the louder of the 2, the taller b/m would attempt broken Spanish to the employees (very mockingly), …

“Can I get some help-o?” <<laughs loudly>>….

“Dis shit is broken-o, por favor.” <<laughs loudly>> <<plays with counter top items>>

“My card don’t work on this thing-o” <<jingling the donation coin jars>> <<swiping his debit card back and forth for a good 10 seconds at least 3 times>>

Now as a business owner, I’d flip if a patron came into my restaurant and began this sort of behavior. But it’s also my opinion that management should be the ones to confront the patrons for such behavior. Granted, the machine wasn’t working too well, but there’s a way to ask for help at the counter, rather than laugh, joke and complain about it to the staff from across the room.

Just as I was going through this thought process, the taller(louder) b/m turns to me and says, “Hey you, lemme hold your credit card right quick.” I do loathe being spoken down to in this manner.

“Maybe your account’s just empty,” I say.

“What the fuck did he just say?!” Says the taller to the shorter. <<Shorter man thinks it’s funny as can be>>

I calmly (and appropriately) replied, “Maybe you spent it all on fried chicken or something.”

The taller man stopped messing with the machine, stood tall and faced me from where he stood approx 5 ft away…looking not so happy, in stark contrast to my expression, exhibiting dire satisfaction with my comment.
Just then, the shorter b/m says, “Awww snap, we did just buy some fried chicken! <<laughs uncontrollably>>

“Man fuck dis shit” <<The 2 leave>>

In case I get flamed, let me clarify that I saw the box of microwaveable fried chicken dinner in the bag as I walked in. It was for this reason alone that I attributed his being broke to his purchase of fried chicken. Though I do admit the obvious attempt to piss him off with this stereotype was hurtful, it was also observationally correct.

Much in the same way that I, as an Asian American, can’t be as offended by “fried rice” comments, if at that exact time… I’m eating a box of fried rice in a Panda Express(which happens to be next door to the Jack in the Box.... shoulda gone there instead)

Food for thought (pun intended)

The staff approached the edge of counter, relieved, and watched them as they left. The Hispanic man commented that they’ve been here for nearly 20 minutes, screwing with the staff and anyone who came in.

So on this national holiday, be tolerant of your fellow man and their diversities, and when hurling insults, be sure to do so whilst having ground to stand on. i.e. look for the fried chicken in the bag, the car on the lawn or the straight A’s in math before commenting on them!

Cheers.

Kunlao, you have a pic to share of yourself?

I want to see if your name matches any awesomeness you may have IRL.

Thanks.

Nah, I pretty much stay away from pricks all together, both the 1 you have(possibly) and the 1 you are(definately). So don't think you'll get an ancient invite scroll to my new years dragon dance festival.

An asexual racist. Meh, at least you wont breed.