Halp Midlife crisis

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So as I enter my golden years, stuck in this corporate hell, I long for more adventure.

I have been watching videos and reading stories from the Mongol Rally and I am warming up to the idea of "competing".

For those of you that don't know:

http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally

You can enter in with motorized bikes (mopeds prefered). I would go this route, using I think a Yamaha Zuma 50f perhaps with a Moto Mule trailer.

Would any of you do a crazy trip like this? Am I going crazy?

So as I enter my golden years, stuck in this corporate hell, I long for more adventure.

I have been watching videos and reading stories from the Mongol Rally and I am warming up to the idea of "competing".

For those of you that don't know:

http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally

You can enter in with motorized bikes (mopeds prefered). I would go this route, using I think a Yamaha Zuma 50f perhaps with a Moto Mule trailer.

Would any of you do a crazy trip like this? Am I going crazy?

I keep thinking that doing the Peking to Paris classic car rally might be a thing I'd enjoy.

Do it.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
It looks like hell to me, but one thing for sure, I would want more than a 50cc scoot for a trip like that especially if hauling stuff.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
yes and yes

I wouldn't be able to do it this year but if you do it next year I'll go with you
Now that is VERY tempting. Honestly let me know your thoughts, and ability to take 2 months off work. I wasn't going to do the 2017 rally anyway (I wouldn't be ready in time), but I could do the 2018 for sure.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
Now that is VERY tempting. Honestly let me know your thoughts, and ability to take 2 months off work. I wasn't going to do the 2017 rally anyway (I wouldn't be ready in time), but I could do the 2018 for sure.

unless things go horribly wrong for me career wise I should already be overseas next year and have the ability to take some time off between contracts

so yeah I'm in

I'm concerned about the vehicle requirements but that's part of the appeal. maybe if we do it in teams like a top gear special

I think what might be a good idea would be to ride the TAT on a Zuma first, you know, to see if it's possible. Better to do that in the US with AAA membership first.

I'm concerned about weather in Mongolia cause in all the old films Genghis and Kubla are dressed in fur from head to toe riding horses on snow and ice, and I'm a pussy.
If you take a southernly route, it's all desert. Since the finish line this year is in Siberia (logistic and expense reasons) you would just stay in Russia instead of getting 2 or more visas for other countries. But it is more northernly route which is colder.

I like the motorcycle trip that Neil Peart did after his daughter and wife died. Took a tour across North America to Alaska then down to Belize, trying to make sense of it all. Wrote a great book about it.

That could be a decent way for me to have a mid-life crisis. Preferably minus the wife and kid dying.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and Strings
I like the motorcycle trip that Neil Peart did after his daughter and wife died. Took a tour across North America to Alaska then down to Belize, trying to make sense of it all. Wrote a great book about it.

That could be a decent way for me to have a mid-life crisis. Preferably minus the wife and kid dying.
Well your wife would leave with your son if you embarked on a trip this long, so that's almost the same thing, right?