Metal Gear Online (PS3)

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
I've been playing this for the last week or two and it's freaking great. Far superior gameplay-wise to Call Of Duty 4 or most of the other shooters recently.

It is a game of cunning and finesse and not just tossing random lead all over the place. You are rewarded (not literally) for having a distinct plan to your actions and actually sticking by your teamates.

There is a virtual well of customizations options for both your character and the gear you play each round with. You can also adjust skills in certain areas to compliment your play style and choice of weapons.

One of this games greatest strengths comes in a entirely new (to me at least) game mode called "Sneak". In Sneak one random player is chosen to play as Solid Snake (the hero from the Metal Gear franchise) while the other players are split into two teams who battle eachother. Snake's mission is to collect dog tags from players on either team without killing them. This means he uses tazers and knock-out darts in addition to his standard lethal weapons (which he can also use, but will not get any points/tags) to take down players and collect their tags. Snake wears an active camo suit which mimics patterns and colors around him like a chameleon making him invisible to the other players when he is in his "hide" mode. With these tools at his disposal Snake is an extremely powerful single-player and is balanced very well to be literall a one-man-army on the battefield. While the two teams (red and blue) are going at it killing eachother the Snake player creeps around in the shadows and takes people out, it's freaking awesome.

The graphics are nice, the sound is good, and the gameplay is great. If you don't have a PS3 you should get one so you can play the full-version this summer.

I'm enjoying the PS3 overall, it's been a fun toy to have. The online system is not nearly as polished as Live/360, but it works and is totally free.

A lot of people complain about there not being any games, but I don't seem to have any trouble finding things to play.

Thanks for this post Knyte. I was really curious about the beta gameplay since I've been so busy with GTA4 yet didn't want to miss out on anything. I'll definitely pick up Metal Gear this summer

Knyte: how much does this game NOT feel like a FPS? The reason I love GTA4 so much is that it's different from COD4... not that I disliked call of duty, I was just ready for a change

Thanks for this post Knyte. I was really curious about the beta gameplay since I've been so busy with GTA4 yet didn't want to miss out on anything. I'll definitely pick up Metal Gear this summer

I like GTA4, but I'm not blown away by it by any means.

Knyte: how much does this game NOT feel like a FPS? The reason I love GTA4 so much is that it's different from COD4... not that I disliked call of duty, I was just ready for a change

It's paced differently, slower I guess you could say. Your walk speed is much slower than what other games have, and the maps are very complicated and take time to learn/navigate properly.

It's funny you mention COD4, because I traded it in for my pre-order of Metal Gear 4. I just got tired of it.

COD4 always felt "spongy" to me (control-wise), I never really saw what everyone loved about it. Everytime I played COD4 it seemed like the gun battles I got into were almost entirely random in their outcome. People just ran towards eachother spraying bullets and whoever happened to get the lucky shot was the winner. Or you had the guys who just camped in the same places the whole game and only shot those people who walked into their crosshairs. No matter how much I played it I could never get over that feeling, and I think they made it that way intentionally to make it accessible for console players.

MGO feels MUCH different from that. The controls are tight and precise, the way I like them. A lot of people are complaining about the game being too hard because of this actually. Most of the people complaining are sprinting around the map just throwing lead and not hitting anything, while the people with the high scores (me, for example) are taking their time and move about with purpose. I love it.

Last edited: