mercury, venus, earth, mars

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
August 27, 2006

This month and next, Earth will catch up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and disturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years. But it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.
The next time Mars may come this close: 2287.
The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth.
It will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky.

It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification.
To the naked eye Mars will look as large as the full moon!
Mars will be easy to spot. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
And by the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

Anyone into space and the planets? This sounds awesome.

As large as the moon? I find that hard to believe, but will have to look for it.

And as sad as it sounds, I often get depressed thinking about how much stuff there is out there that I will never see. I want to step foot on a planet that humans have never even seen. :cool:

Thorn Bird said:
August 27, 2006

This month and next, Earth will catch up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and disturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years. But it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.
The next time Mars may come this close: 2287.
The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth.
It will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky.

It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification.
To the naked eye Mars will look as large as the full moon!
Mars will be easy to spot. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
And by the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

Anyone into space and the planets? This sounds awesome.

HOLY SHITBALLZ THATS GREAT!!!!

as large as a full moon???? OK, how in the hell is that possible? anyone?

fly said:
As large as the moon? I find that hard to believe, but will have to look for it.

And as sad as it sounds, I often get depressed thinking about how much stuff there is out there that I will never see. I want to step foot on a planet that humans have never even seen. :cool:

You've done that hundreds of times in video games.

Drool-Boy said:
This makes me wish I had a nice telescope with a camera mount

Speaking of which...

I was helping my buddy move and they had this brand new Tri-pod that for some reason was at there house. I have no clue what it would be worth but I grabbed it thinking my buddy Dave might want it...

If he doesnt would anyone have a good home for it?

shawndavid said:
Amy likes Jupiter.

I, myself, am more into satellites such as Europa.
Europa. :drool:

They think it has a shitload of liquid water thanks to Jupiter constantly trying to rip it apart. That's fucking awesome. Can you imagine standing on the surface watching Jupiter?

None of this is accurate, Bowman said.

In fact, instead of being easily visible, Bowman said Mars is "only visible for a short time after sunset" right now and will behind the sun later this fall making it invisible from Earth.

Bowman speculated about the source of the erroneous information.

In 2003, Mars and Earth did come into opposition and were, at that time, the closest to one another in history.

"This is the 2003 story," Bowman said.

http://www.georgetownnews.com/articles/2006/08/22/news/news03.txt

As far as Mars looking like the moon, my cousin said the same thing a few weeks ago. I told him I didn't believe him and he came back the next day and said I was right. I have no idea who is right but I thought Mars was closest a few years ago when they plopped those landers on it. When I'm not making sound clips I may go try and find out.

nevermind, it seems sara beat me to it

Last edited:
BeeRad said:
Speaking of which...

I was helping my buddy move and they had this brand new Tri-pod that for some reason was at there house. I have no clue what it would be worth but I grabbed it thinking my buddy Dave might want it...

If he doesnt would anyone have a good home for it?

I could put it to good use:cool: