Halp Mental Disorders and Infidelity.

thintoast

Mayosapien
Dec 4, 2012
up your butt and around the corner
Marklar
₥10,725
Srs topic itt.

So I've been informed of a situation where someone I know has cheated on her husband (why she confided in me, I have no idea). And before you try to guess who, no, it wasn't mrs toast. Anyway, the person that cheated hasn't been officially diagnosed, but I'm fairly certain she is somewhere on the Autism Spectrum. She is probably somewhere near what used to be called Aspergers syndrome. She's quite intelligent in many areas although because of her ASD, she has a difficult time in social environments, many times saying inappropriate things, acting different than most would in certain situations, and most of all not being able to relate to others without having the exact experience herself. One of her biggest issues is her inability to be satisfied with quality relationships, in both friends and romantic partners. This seems to cause a disassociation from her actions and the status of the relationship, including the emotions of her partner.

Her partner, who is also a little "off" (meant without disrespect, I simply can't put my finger on a real definition) is completely oblivious to the idea of infidelity in their relationship, and is dealing with his own psychological issues on a daily basis, mostly related to his childhood and his relationship with his father.

So I'm at a crossroads... He deserves to know the truth, however in telling him, it will destroy their relationship, and most likely drive the wife to a very unhealthy area. Knowing her situation, and her past actions, it wouldn't be a surprise if this drove her to suicide by anorexia. She would hate herself forever and punish herself because she won't be able to get over the fact that she's done something terrible (a common limitation of ASD) without truly understanding the consequences of her actions and how that has affected him.

I've considered the idea that I suggest to her mother (whom she is very close with) that she go see a therapist to help her deal with certain situations, and expressing a concern in her relationship with her husband and how she can learn to deal with and understand his psychological issues surrounding his drinking habits and possible inattention to her while at home.

That's all I have. Anyone else have experience in something like this or have any ideas or suggestions?

Many years ago I sponsored someone in N.A. who had a major infidelity problem...$3 crackwhores around Poughkeepsie.
I knew his wife. I suggested to this man he either needed to change his behavior or come clean to his wife to give her the chance to leave him for safety from catching AIDS eventually.

He didn't take that well, and he dissolved our relationship.
People don't act rationally around infidelity.

Many years ago I sponsored someone in N.A. who had a major infidelity problem...$3 crackwhores around Poughkeepsie.
I knew his wife. I suggested to this man he either needed to change his behavior or come clean to his wife to give her the chance to leave him for safety from catching AIDS eventually.

He didn't take that well, and he dissolved our relationship.
People don't act rationally around infidelity.

i had a similar friend who would run to a hotel and get a prostitute every time him and his wife would argue. When he asked me what he should do instead, and I suggested a reasonable "talk to your wife about it, apologize and own it", he replied that he "ain't no bitch" and would do no such thing. I haven't seen him in a long time and he's out drinking and whoring again.

He's not really a friend, but he's one of those people who doesn't associate well with others and looks up to me.
Personally, I'd weigh the level of drama it would cause in my life, and then determine if that person is worth it. If he is, tell him and go to bat. If not, cut him because there's no way I'd be hanging out with that bitch of a wife pretending like shit is normal.

Where mental illness and the unpredictability of jealousy mixed with alcoholism are concerned, I would tread lightly.
Ugly doesn't begin to describe where something like this could go.

Sounds like his neglect played a big part in her infidelity. She needs to take responsibility for her actions and confront him so he can take responsibility for his.

You should stay out if it.

My 2 cents. But What do I know ...

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Kinda doubt it, man. The rate of female autism is something like 4-6x rarer in females than it is in males.
Mmm... no. I'm realy quite sure. There are very specific signs that are very well documented to be associated with Aspergers. While there is always a possibility it's not, I've talked to other people qualified to make that call, and based on my descriptions, they've unofficially confirmed it.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Uh huh.
Anyone that you've spoken to about that, if they have any ethical boundaries at all, also said "I can't make a diagnosis of someone I've never met, especially based on second hand information."

Soooooo.....

Uh huh.
Anyone that you've spoken to about that, if they have any ethical boundaries at all, also said "I can't make a diagnosis of someone I've never met, especially based on second hand information."

Soooooo.....
That's exactly how it went.

She said something to the effect of "I'm only going off of what you're telling me, and without talking to her myself I can't know for sure, but it sounds like she might have ASD. Here's the typical signs and how it related to what you're telling me..."

Also, I mentioned in the initial post that she's never been officially diagnosed.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
That's exactly how it went.

She said something to the effect of "I'm only going off of what you're telling me, and without talking to her myself I can't know for sure, but it sounds like she might have ASD. Here's the typical signs and how it related to what you're telling me..."

Also, I mentioned in the initial post that she's never been officially diagnosed.
Part of the problem is that women on the Autism spectrum commonly get misdiagnosed because their symptoms manifest themselves in such different ways. Ways that are so similar to other mental issues that are more prone to females than males, to the point that pretty much everyone I've ever talked to about it clams up when talking about diagnosing females other than to say how difficult it can be to get an accurate diagnosis.