Media Play crushed my balls

bast_imret

Erect Member
Oct 26, 2004
Marklar
₥157
Figuratively speaking that is. I went to the mall this evening and swung by EB Games. I had heard that Media Play had been doing a trade in deal the past few weeks; Every Tuesday, trade in 4 used games, get any new game for free, and today was the last day. After today it was just store credit. I'm assuming they were doing it to bulk up their stock since they just recently started selling used games. But hay, $15 in used games to get a new copy of World of Warcraft, sounds like a deal to me!

So anyway, I head over to EB and find 4 of the cheapest used games I can. A couple $3 and a couple $5. Head back to my car, running into Page Davis of Trading Spaces fame on the way, and then clean all the USED stickers off the cases.

I get to Media Play, go to the music/games counter and give the guy the games. He goes through them, turns out one is scratched and not acceptable (seemed fine to me) and the other they are not accepting, already have too many. So I zip back over to EB, snag another few games, trading back in the ones MP wouldn't take, and then head back to MP.

This time, I get 3 out of 4, as now I've still got another game they will not take due to overstock. Now I'm getting frustrated, but the nice clerk tells me to grab a $5 from their used games, buy it up front, and he'll take that as the 4th. OK! I grab a copy of Max Payne for $5, buy it, and trade it back. I get the trade certificate and I'm good to go!

So I ask the guy, "Is this valid for all systems, XB, GC, PS2 and PC?" He says, "yea." So I says, "Well how does it work, is it just essentially $50, to cover a standard new game price, or can I get say, a collectors edition of a game that costs $20 more?" He says, "It should cover the cost of any new game."

Needless to say, out of curiosity, I looked around for a gigantic box containing the $200 Steel Battalion setup, but they had none. So I asked the guy if they had any more CE WoW. He checks, says only ones left are pre-paid reserves. So I grab the last copy of the normal version instead, and happily walk up the the register with my trade voucher in hand.

The register monkey scans it, looks at the game and says, "I'm sorry, but this can't be used on a PC game."

:egads:

I say, "I asked the guy who gave me the voucher if this was valid on PC, and he said yes." She calls her manager. Manager says, "Only valid on consoles."

FSCK!!!!!!

All I wanted was a god damned copy of World of Warcraft, but it appears that is not what Media Play had in mind. So I sulked back to the console games, grabbed a copy of Prince of Persia: WW, a $50 value, and left, mubmling curses upon the staff's families under my breath (except the games guy, he was cool).

So now I'm sitting here with a copy of a game I don't even want (at least not at a $50 price) after running around for a better part of the evening in an attempt to get Warcraft. I'll probably swing by the pawn shop tomorrow to sell the extra $3 used games I've got that MP would take, and then try to figure out a way to turn my copy of PoP:WW into a copy of WoW. For now though, I'm just going to go wallow in my smoldering rage.

Cliffs:
1. Media Play's last day of "Trade 4 used games, get new game free deal."
2. Really want World of Warcraft
3. Buy cheap 3 and 5 dollar used games at EB.
4. MP says "NEIN!" to 2 out of 4 games.
6. Back to EB, trade back the 2 crap games, get 3 more cheap $3 games.
7. MP says, 3 are good, 2 not, but games guy is cool and lets me trade in one of their used ones.
8. Take copy of trade voucher and WoW to register . . . get shot down as not valid for PC games.
9. :mad:
10. Grab copy of Price of Persia: Warrior Within instead.
11. Now stuck with 3 games I don't want (PoP, Madden 2003, and Splinter Cell), and none of what I did all this for in the first place (WoW).
12. NO FUCKING PROFIT!

Last edited:
SpangeMonkee said:
return the game to another store and get WoW..

I'm trying to. Only place close by this evening on my way home (other than media play. Everything else, EB, BB, etc, was in the opposite direction) was Walmart, and they still haven't even gotten any copies in yet :wtf:

Well, I got a wave of the christmas spirit this morning, or maybe it was the eggnog I drank right before bed last night . . . nevermind.

Anyway I started feeling all nice and stuff so I decided to give the extra used games I had to some of my co-workers. It seemed to brighten their day a bit. Plus, I figured it was a sin that there was someone I work with that hadn't played Splinter Cell yet.

bast_imret said:
Well, I got a wave of the christmas spirit this morning, or maybe it was the eggnog I drank right before bed last night . . . nevermind.

Anyway I started feeling all nice and stuff so I decided to give the extra used games I had to some of my co-workers. It seemed to brighten their day a bit. Plus, I figured it was a sin that there was someone I work with that hadn't played Splinter Cell yet.

well that was :cool:

at least you redeemed yourself from trying to be a cheap bastard and manipulate the system. didn't all the time and gas money basically put you in the red on that deal anyways?

bast_imret said:

That was vary nice of you sir
Your stay in Hell will be reduced by approx. 6hr due to this act of kindess. 6hrs. isnt much when shaved off of an eternity, but hey, every bit helps, right?

jaxxor said:
well that was :cool:

at least you redeemed yourself from trying to be a cheap bastard and manipulate the system. didn't all the time and gas money basically put you in the red on that deal anyways?

My time isn't worth much, so no. Assuming I can exchange PoP for WoW somewhere, it's still a decent deal, about $30 for a $50 game, but not quite the $15 I originally had in mind when I started out on my path for Azeroth and glory . . . oh, and ale and wenches too.

Forrest Dump said:
That was vary nice of you sir
Your stay in Hell will be reduced by approx. 6hr due to this act of kindess. 6hrs. isnt much when shaved off of an eternity, but hey, every bit helps, right?

S'ok. It won't be as fun down there now that Bub got fired.

kristchan said:

no, I had left my phone in my car. She was shopping with some guy. Wearing a brown hoodie, some Juicy style sweatpants, and white/pink tennis shoes. Had a large brown purse with a large red letter P on it. I just stopped and said hi, shook her hand, said it's nice to meet you, and then left her alone. And she looked just as cuet as she does on TV.

bast_imret said:
no, I had left my phone in my car. She was shopping with some guy. Wearing a brown hoodie, some Juicy style sweatpants, and white/pink tennis shoes. Had a large brown purse with a large red letter P on it. I just stopped and said hi, shook her hand, said it's nice to meet you, and then left her alone. And she looked just as cuet as she does on TV.

Yummy..... :drool:

HOLD YOUR HORSES COWBOY

you know a celebrity from TLC? ELABORATE

crazymike said:
HOLD YOUR HORSES COWBOY

you know a celebrity from TLC? ELABORATE

I did a few posts back. I just happened to recognize her. Kind of did a double take, thought it might very well be her, then when I saw the big letter P on her purse I was sold. I was walking right next to them, so I just said "Hi Page!" It's not like we all went out and got dinner together. I didn't want to be a pain in the neck fanboi, so I just said hi, I'm a fan, nice to meet you, bye, and then left them to their shopping.

bast_imret said:
I did a few posts back. I just happened to recognize her. Kind of did a double take, thought it might very well be her, then when I saw the big letter P on her purse I was sold. I was walking right next to them, so I just said "Hi Page!" It's not like we all went out and got dinner together. I didn't want to be a pain in the neck fanboi, so I just said hi, I'm a fan, nice to meet you, bye, and then left them to their shopping.

I wouldn't even have said hi :p

I'm not a big fan of celeberities. I thought you meant you worked with her or something :p

So, was paige with her husband?

And all the media plays up here in the frozen north went out of business shortly after opening up