Media Converters

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
Hey, I'm trying to find a media converter with more than one ethernet port installed. Sort of like a combo media converter / hub with one pair of fiber serving multiple 10/100 ports. I've had plenty of luck with Allied Telesys products, but they don't seem to have anything that meets my requirements.

The alternative, of course, is to buy four separate media converters, but I suspect that it would be cheaper to buy a device like I'm describing-- provided such things exist.

oh I have some software media convertors but this is not what you are looking for.

No, I guess I should've been more specific in my subject.

The media converters I'm looking for convert fiber optic to copper and back again. Specifically, I need ones that do multimode fiber with ST connectors.

Not that anyone cares, but I found what I was looking for.

Instead of a multi port media converter I should've been looking for an unmanaged switch with a fiber uplink. Who knew?

Not that anyone cares, but I found what I was looking for.

Instead of a multi port media converter I should've been looking for an unmanaged switch with a fiber uplink. Who knew?

I sure didn't, or else I would have posted it. I'll file this info in my brain under "Shit that I know nothing about but that sounds pretty cool"

:D

i'm curious what on earth this is for. when you say converting media do you mean video or something? or are you talking about switching between fiber networking and copper?

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Products2/Product.aspx?ID=26623&CategoryName=MIL-Sx01

Or you could just hang a switch off a media converter.

You are absolutely correct, and in a sane world this would be the obvious solution. Sadly, I do not work in a sane world. I work as a state government contractor. This ultimately means that even the simplest of tasks can only be accomplished by jumping through an extensive series of hoops.

An unmanaged switch with a fiber uplink is exactly what I need to minimize the number of hoops what needs to be jumped through.

I've got a friend who works in a school district around here, and he recommended those Transition products to me as he had great success with them. Just thought I would pass that on.