Mean computer trick of the day

reverendsaintjay

Flaccid Member
Jan 5, 2006
Maryland
Marklar
₥0
So, one of the greatest things about working in IT service/support is that you get to deal with the genuine a-holes of every industry. Why you ask? Because those are the people that get f'd with when they aren't looking. These are the people that get their cars keyed in the parking lot, their coffee spit/peed in, their chair settings modified, and best of all... their computers f'd with.

One of my favorite tricks is very simple, yet will almost always cause a service call because most helpdesk scripts don't include checking this very innocuous little switch.

I'm talking of course about the voltage select switch that is built into every power supply out there. It has two settings, 110v and 220v. If you are in North America and change the setting to 220v it won't damage the computer, but it won't boot up until it is set back to 110v.

One point of note, don't use a ball-point pen to flip the switch. That was how we eventually caught on to the king kamehameha beyotch down at NIH. If her 'adversary' had used a paperclip or flat-head screwdriver she would have wound up with a new system eventually.

Anyone else have non-malicious compy tricks to share? Should there be rules?

If there are rules I'd say that no administrative access to the box would be necessary to perform the trick. That's not to say you couldn't take advantage of an unlocked system, but you wouldn't want an abuse of admin rights on your record for any of this.

I unhooked someones network cable once, just enough so it wouldnt work, but it looked like it was still plugged in.
It took the IT guy 3 days, and a total reformat to finally get it fixed:fly:

Let me share a recent help desk ticket we recieved.

I have process on my computer called System Idle Process that is taking up between 94 and 99 of my CPU and it is seriously slowing me down. What is it and how can I make it go away.

We don't need to prank the users, they prank themselves.

Drool-Boy said:
I unhooked someones network cable once, just enough so it wouldnt work, but it looked like it was still plugged in.
It took the IT guy 3 days, and a total reformat to finally get it fixed:fly:

Every time I start to feel like a lazy, overpaid, hack I hear something like this and remember that lots tech workers have no business in the industry.

Oh:

And I've had one user who had two keys on his keyboard transposed. Like, the C and V keys got swapped, or something.

i had a lady call in and complain her machine wouldnt come on

when asked to check the plug she said she couldnt because her power was out..

we laughed alot.

Gateway tech support when i was 16

Sarcasmo said:
What was your response?
I did run on the ticket, I don't know how it was resolved. When I heard about it though, my first thought was to take the person's computer away and make them sit in the corner.

Doing Phone tech support I spent 3 nights (about an hour or so a night) on the phone with a lady that couldn't get her dial up internet set up. At the beginning of the 3rd night it came to me that she was using her mouse backwords, the cord was coming out towards her hand, so none of the right-click/left-clicking instructions were working for her.

kiwi said:
Doing Phone tech support I spent 3 nights (about an hour or so a night) on the phone with a lady that couldn't get her dial up internet set up. At the beginning of the 3rd night it came to me that she was using her mouse backwords, the cord was coming out towards her hand, so none of the right-click/left-clicking instructions were working for her.
Um, KNYTE ... are you posting on your wife's account again?

I've seen someone plug their surge protector into itself and wonder why there was no power...prolly about 5 times in the last 9 years of being a tech

Back when I was a tech I got several workorders for users having problems with the sound on their computers. I'd show up and they wouldnt have any speakers. It made me want to throttle them.

theacoustician said:
Says the girl who's afraid to do a clean install...

I'm sure I could figure it out, but Knyte will just do it for me and much quicker than I could.

Edit: My wireless modem was broken and we couldn't get it to work. Knyte looked at it a little, and gave up (cause he didn't really care I'm sure), so I'm the one that figured it out and fixed it. I can do things, it's just a matter of motivation.