Marriage Equality Thread

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
So I thought maybe to just have one collective gay marriage thread. Actually it should be "marriage equality" thread because that's what it is.

News as of April 22nd:

7 countries provide same-sex marriage
4 other countries recognize them

4 states provide same-sex marriage
2 other states recognize them

Civil Unions are provided by 15 countries
CU provided by certain areas in 4 more countries
10 states provide CU
1 country recognizes CU

18 countries are having marriage discussions or are in courts/litigation
9 states are having marriage discussions

The latest right now is today the Maine hearings for litigation for same-sex marriage. Also in NY, the governor has submitted a new bill to be signed by Senate and the House for same-sex marriage. Cross fingers.

Just today for the first time Louisiana got a suit issued challenging the marriage laws, just like how all of these rulings started:

"The men filed the lawsuit against several state and local officials on April 2, the same day they said they were denied a marriage license. It claims the state's marriage amendment violates the First Amendment 'by curtailing the right to marry based upon a religious interpretation of the nature and purpose of marriage itself...By failing to articulate a legitimate, compelling and secular interest for the restriction on marriage, the state has necessarily established a wholly religious civil institution,' it says. Bonilla, who said he graduated from a New Orleans law school but isn't a practicing attorney, drafted the lawsuit before they applied for the license."

Estimates from a very highly respected pollster were quite interesting in its findings. Basically it is a measure of when each state will adopt marriage equality.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/will-iowans-uphold-gay-marriage.html

:heart: Jonny_B

If anyone is interested in this topic, I will keep updating as I get more information.

Update 1: New Hampshire Senate committee denied entry of a bill into the Senate for voting. :( Looks like NH won't take this bill into legislation this round.

Update 2: Maine legislation has passed and the governor will pass marriage equality laws, making it state 5

Update 3: Washington DC city council passed a possible law to recognize marriage equality and will hit up Congress for final approval.

Update 4: NH will be signing a bill with some changes this week. WA state signed "everything but marriage" bill.

Last edited:
there's no such thing as equality in marriage...someone is always the bitch regardless of gender

This is one of the last issues actually for gay rights. Everything else is basically gravy.

I love ya Dave, but I highly doubt this will be the last thing we hear about. Someone is gonna find something new to bitch about once this is resolved.

everything is okay by me, except allowing down's sufferers to reproduce, which is banned in the UK at least.

I saw this and thought, "another thread on this?"

I love you and what you stand for Dave, but you're preaching to the choir. :lol:

there is but it's still the same thing...the glass is half full or half empty

i haven't met a dead on down's kid yet. they're almost always angry, mouthy and pretty much exploit the treatment they receive.

sly little cunts. i take no shite from them

Yeah yeah, there you go. I'm can't help that I'm awesome, it's a disease!

my mate maintains he knows a helicoptor pilot who caught downs syndrome at 9,000ft one morning but "managed to land before his eyes went"

I love ya Dave, but I highly doubt this will be the last thing we hear about. Someone is gonna find something new to bitch about once this is resolved.

I don't think so. The Equality Marriage Coalition for Mass disbanded because they got what they were fighting for. Other organizations will do the same thing as well.

I saw this and thought, "another thread on this?"

I love you and what you stand for Dave, but you're preaching to the choir. :lol:

Well I know there were some people that asked me for information like a news blog or something. I thought I would have one thread that could just hold all of the information in one place and not make anymore as more interesting news comes out.

Like this mother who most likely will not support her son's marriage. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8012607.stm