Thread "Marital" Finances

Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
Sooooooooooo the wife got me a macbook Pro for our anniversary last night. (I think it was like $1100, 18 months same as cash.) I need it to DJ, running Serato Scratch Live.

also got me some of those new headphones designed by Dr. Dre.

honestly, it was stuff I needed and would've had to get in the next month anyway. so, very utilitarian.

but it's got me thinking.. we kind of pool our money to pay bills, so really, any gift we get each other, we're both paying for it.

how do you and your S.O. handle stuff like this? you have your own accounts? joint? solo CC's? you pay this bill, they pay that bill?

happy five year anniv to me. mama fell asleep about 930 before i could give her her wood present. :case:

Happy anniversary, man. Give her the wood tonight!

All out money goes into a joint account, where all the bills are paid from. We have separate credit cards each which we rarely ever use, and one joint CC which we buy pretty much everything with, then pay off every month. Also joint on the mortgage and credit line. Nothing to hide financially. I have friends who have been married for like 8 years, and everything is separate. They have bills in each of their names and actually pay half of each others bills, it's weird. They even each have their own stash of weed. I don't get it, but it works for them.

We use to have all of our stuff together and when we separated we separated all of our finances. I tend to take care of all utilities etc and she does most of the grocery shopping and my son's school costs. We give each other money towards stuff as needed. We need to get at least another joint bank account sometime soon to make the process easier. She deals primarily in cash from being a hairdresser and it's really nice sometimes not having much of a paper trail concerning her finances.

All out money goes into a joint account, where all the bills are paid from. We have separate credit cards each which we rarely ever use, and one joint CC which we buy pretty much everything with, then pay off every month. Also joint on the mortgage and credit line. Nothing to hide financially. I have friends who have been married for like 8 years, and everything is separate. They have bills in each of their names and actually pay half of each others bills, it's weird. They even each have their own stash of weed. I don't get it, but it works for them.

They can't even share their weed stashes? wtf?!?

thanks mang.

not to mark out too bad to Dave Ramsey, but he says separate accounts are just preparing you for divorce. of course, he also is a christianity advocate. but I tend to agree with him.

she has an account that gets direct deposit, but then writes me a check for bills. I may have to investigate her next bank statement :shifty: though my mother has always taught me it's rude to open others' mail.

Ape and I aren't married, but we have been together for 5+ years. All our finances are separate. We do have a joint savings account and travel account. But other than that, we each have our own bills we pay. It works pretty well.

Chim and I have a joint credit card, joint checking account that pays the CC off, joint saving account that came with the CC, and individual savings/checking accounts. My paycheck is split between my personal savings and personal checking because they are higher interest and some to the joint checking to pay for rent. I charge as much as I can. Then at the end of the month, chim tallies up the dinners and personal purchases I make and then pulls from my personal checking that amount. He covers the charges for utilities and groceries and pulls from his account/s. We split whatever the CC rewards cash is to make the CC payment smaller.

Bottom line is the CC gets paid off every month, but since it is both of us charging everything, the payments are quite large (great for credit rating), and my money is in interest-bearing accounts as long as possible. We have the cushion of maintaining separately if emergancies occur, but the main purchasing power we have is joint.

Our cars are our personal payments. The apartment I pay for.

thanks mang.

not to mark out too bad to Dave Ramsey, but he says separate accounts are just preparing you for divorce. of course, he also is a christianity advocate. but I tend to agree with him.

she has an account that gets direct deposit, but then writes me a check for bills. I may have to investigate her next bank statement :shifty: though my mother has always taught me it's rude to open others' mail.

I think human error is enough of a reason to get separate accounts. I remember my mom and stepdad would make a purchase from the joint account, one wouldn't tell the other and there would be an overdraft.

Having said that, I do think that you should be aware of your spouses consumer debt, as that effects you.

I think human error is enough of a reason to get separate accounts. I remember my mom and stepdad would make a purchase from the joint account, one wouldn't tell the other and there would be an overdraft.

Having said that, I do think that you should be aware of your spouses consumer debt, as that effects you.

we keep a fair amount of cash in our account and always talk to each other before buying anything costly to avoid such issues. I keep hearing my sister get pissed when her husband goes out and buys a $600 tool when they really can't afford it. fuck that, talk about it up front.

We keep it separate. I pick up all the utilities and he pays the mortgage. I like him not knowing what I paid for gifts. :) we do have a joint savings account for when big stuff happens, like the AC, handler, car stuff, Eds penis removal.

It works really well this way for us. :)

Edit: beaten

DB I'm going to beat you! :fly:

Shal-- what Dave Ramsey said about joint checking is silly. Lots of people get divorces over finances, wouldn't it be less stressful keeping them separate?

DB I'm going to beat you! :fly:

Shal-- what Dave Ramsey said about joint checking is silly. Lots of people get divorces over finances, wouldn't it be less stressful keeping them separate?

Seperate - Joint. I don't think it matters. If there are issues with communication and money management, they are going to show their head in one way or another.