Thread Malt Whisky, yes that's no 'e' and Scottish only

DJBrenton

In Her Majesty's Secret Cervix
Feb 10, 2010
Robin Hoodland
Marklar
₥1,983
So I know Chicken's a fan, and whilst I do like bourbon, sour mash and whiskey, I particularly adore Single Malt Whisky.

Tonight I'm savouring Octomore 02.2. A 61% 140ppm phenol 5 year ols. The peatiest malt in the world yet surprisingly subtle. Anyone else got a favourite or just something interesting?

That would be lowland normally. 50 year ols tends towards prohibitively expensive. I'm normally happy with anywhere between 10 and 16 years old. They have a certain je ne sais quio.

Wow. I've just been ogling a 27 year old Port Ellen at £240.01 .

Fancy splitting a cask of Bruichladdich? £1550 down which includes storage for 10 years in Premium French Oak then around £2600 for duty, VAT and bottling. You end up with 233 bottles at 61% for around £18 a bottle.

Wow. I've just been ogling a 27 year old Port Ellen at £240.01 .
Yikes! When I bought my bottle, I think it was £70-ish in London, so $140 US. Last time I saw one here it was over $300, amd that was a while ago.

Fancy splitting a cask of Bruichladdich? £1550 down which includes storage for 10 years in Premium French Oak then around £2600 for duty, VAT and bottling. You end up with 233 bottles at 61% for around £18 a bottle.

IN! Though I don't know if I want to wait 10 years....

I had a 15yo bottle of glenlivet not too long ago
It was aged in a different barrel than they usually use, gave it a bit of a smokey aroma, and it was very smooth.

I had a 15yo bottle of glenlivet not too long ago
It was aged in a different barrel than they usually use, gave it a bit of a smokey aroma, and it was very smooth.

Iwas just talking about that. Lately I've become a fan of different caskings like Port, Rum and different wines. The added flavours are really rewarding.

What is a good entry level whisky? I'd like to enjoy the stuff, just so I can be like Chikken, but can't get past the part where it tastes like Im licking a charred barrel of shit.

What is a good entry level whisky? I'd like to enjoy the stuff, just so I can be like Chikken, but can't get past the part where it tastes like Im licking a charred barrel of shit.

Well, start by licking charred shit barrels, and once youre used to that, a new recommendation will be made.