Thread Malt Whisky, yes that's no 'e' and Scottish only

charles-goodnight-100-proof-small-batch-straight-bourbon-whiskey-kentucky-usa-10703988.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and nukes
Read the thread back and you'll find Mortlach and I get pretty snobby about tastings. To be fair, I don't think I've ever spent more than about $250 on a bottle though.

Read the thread back and you'll find Mortlach and I get pretty snobby about tastings. To be fair, I don't think I've ever spent more than about $250 on a bottle though.

Musicians have "gear snobs". Those are the cork-sniffers who like to blame gear for their own shortcomings. The good musicians rock the house just as much on a $500 setup as they do on a $5000 setup, because they're good.

That doesn't mean there isn't an uptick in quality in the more expensive setups. There most certainly is a finer level there. You just shouldn't require that to get the job done and please the audience.

Once you get to a certain level of "good" though, the point of diminishing returns comes on quick. Ie:. You have to spend a lot more to get a little better.

I'm comparing whiskey to bass gear. Totally logical, isn't it?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
It probably is a fair comparison. Over a certain price point with whisky (generally around $2-300 maybe, you're paying for rarity rather than greater quality, although obvious exceptions are for older and older bottles. Limited releases can go through the roof. As an aficionado rather than collector, I don't believe in hoarding bottles for the financial appreciation. I've drunk bottles that cost me $50 but were worth maybe $200 because they sold out.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer