Major defects in the PSP discovered

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Reports are coming in that the initial shipment of PSP units is seeing some defective units getting to the public.

These defects include:

Dead pixels, as many as 3 per screen with the problem.

Broken UMD drives.

Analog nubs not working.

Sony has yet to make any official announcement about any of these issues, and about how users with any of these problems can recitfy them.

Be sure to check back for Sony's response to these issues.

UPDATE: More problems ahoy!

Analog nubs not just not working, but actually falling off.

PSP is turned on, but does not start up.

Screen has air bubbles.

Screen has dust on the inside.

Also, as for the UMD drive problems, some have reported the drive not closing completely, and the UMD, when the PSP is twisted, actually flies out!

Most retailers are stressing the fact that these problems don't occur in the majority of PSPs, but take caution in importing until Sony gives an official announcement.
Whoa. How do you think this will effect the Sony vs. Nintendo battle for the king of handhelds? With so many different problems described, I find it hard to believe its only a few of them...

You hate the PSP, don't you?

I heard abou the dead pixel issue, but none of the other crap. While it sounds like a cool unit, anything that has the backing of Sony sucks for some reason or another.

Pancake Wagon said:
You hate the PSP, don't you?

I heard abou the dead pixel issue, but none of the other crap. While it sounds like a cool unit, anything that has the backing of Sony sucks for some reason or another.
I was hopeful at first, but that thing is the size of Turbo Graphix Express (remember those). Fucking stupid. Some of the features they tried to cram it with are useless as well. If they just made a Gameboy essentially that played their games on their own carts, it would have rocked.

Hehehe.. I hear people were waiting outside the stores over night to get one of them.
I'd be really pissed off if the buttons start falling off when I finally get it :lol:

theacoustician said:
I was hopeful at first, but that thing is the size of Turbo Graphix Express (remember those). Fucking stupid. Some of the features they tried to cram it with are useless as well. If they just made a Gameboy essentially that played their games on their own carts, it would have rocked.
I think they wanted to differentiate between Nintendo's system and theirs. To do that they had to add the MP3 playback and movie options, etc.

theacoustician said:

I still think it looks sleek as hell. And I'll wait until it's out stateside and I can see a good few reviews before I start passing judgement. And to see what kind of games will be coming out. That's my primary system buying criteria. I'm not a fanboi, I like a system for the games.

Oh, and don't be dissin tha TG16Express yo. I've still got mine, along with 20 of the games and the TV tuner. And that beast is massive! It's like holding a brick in your hands. And it sucks through those 6AA batteries in a matter of a few hours. But still being able to play Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse anywhere I want = priceless :D

Pancake Wagon said:
I think they wanted to differentiate between Nintendo's system and theirs. To do that they had to add the MP3 playback and movie options, etc.
You can watch movies on a GBA and listen to mp3s and not make it a giant brick. That's my biggest problem. If it doesn't fit in your pocket, its not portable. If its too freaking heavy (dunno if the PSP is or not), its not portable.

theacoustician said:
You can watch movies on a GBA and listen to mp3s and not make it a giant brick. That's my biggest problem. If it doesn't fit in your pocket, its not portable. If its too freaking heavy (dunno if the PSP is or not), its not portable.
I thought I read that its slightly lighter and smaller then the DS. But I could be wrong.

bast_imret said:
I think it's lighter. It is longer, but not as thick as the DS.
I figure, until they make portable computers, I ain't gonna be playing any portable games.

theacoustician said:
i dontthink its so stupid. same size as the ds pretty much so no advantage to either system there, and with the advent of pdas and personal stereos (which the psp could perform at least one of the roles of) people have grown accustomed to the concept of carrying around a slightly larger device, so long as its multi functional

btw, the japanese rollout of practically every system has big problems, because of the pressure to get it out being so high and having no info on launches from previous territories. the ps2 liked to fuck around with memory cards, and a significant portion of super famicoms didnt work at all with certain games. they did a total recall on them and the system still pdid fine