Mailing Alcohol

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
4,158
1
232
Marklar
₥5
elpmis said:
two 6 packs I think


edit: they don't make a twelve I believe

I called the USPS and asked.

USPS Customer Service Wench said:
A beverage is mailable if it is BELOW .05% alcohol by volume.

So that rules out everything but O'Doules.
On another note I would like to add that my boss heard me make htat call and was like :wtf:
 
Last edited:

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
4,158
1
232
Marklar
₥5
theacoustician said:
Its completely state by state. Check this map to see the status of the state you're mailing to. http://www.wswa.org/public/state/

Some places they just confiscate it, in others its a felony, so make sure you double check. If nothing else, call the post office.

That has to do with direct shipping, like straight from the winery to your house voiding the wholesale and retailer from the equation. Since he is buying it retail that isn't the same law that applies, he needs to check with shipping laws which may be subject to company policy. USPS says no way; see above post. Maybe UPS or FedEx has a different policy?
 

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
4,158
1
232
Marklar
₥5
elpmis said:
damn man thanks

haha, my boss is a dirty old hippie, he doesn't care what I do all day as long as the work I need to get done is done. The wtf look on his face was kind of funny though :fly:
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
Marklar
₥0
ERage said:
That has to do with direct shipping, like straight from the winery to your house voiding the wholesale and retailer from the equation. Since he is buying it retail that isn't the same law that applies, he needs to check with shipping laws which may be subject to company policy. USPS says no way; see above post. Maybe UPS or FedEx has a different policy?
Buy it at a liquor store, bring pre-labeled box, give clerk a few extra bucks to mail it from his store.
 

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
8,036
222
498
47
Maryland
Marklar
₥81
I really don't think that a law that gets enforced. Maybe if you were shipping a metric ton of booze across state lines they'd make a fuss, but a case of beer? I really doubt it.
 

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
4,158
1
232
Marklar
₥5
theacoustician said:
Buy it at a liquor store, bring pre-labeled box, give clerk a few extra bucks to mail it from his store.

Clerk accepts extra cash, takes box home and drinks beer. Elfpenor comes back a week later and asks why the package never arrived. Clerk says idunno, you wanna buy some more and send it again? :fly:
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
Marklar
₥0
itburnswhenipee said:
I really don't think that a law that gets enforced. Maybe if you were shipping a metric ton of booze across state lines they'd make a fuss, but a case of beer? I really doubt it.
My sister was busted for trying to ship wine from the Biltmore to Fla. They only gave her a warning, but since you can't ship liquor to that state at all, I guess someone is paying attention.

Side note : I think you'd have a better time sending it overnight. Less chance of breakage and sitting out in the hot sun for several days would make the beer skunk by the time it got to its destination.
 

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
4,158
1
232
Marklar
₥5
Fat Burger said:
I know with airlines you can get away with marking the box "Yeast samples", but I don't know if that works for mailing beer too.

/me stands by while yeast jokes start brewing :fly:
 

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
8,036
222
498
47
Maryland
Marklar
₥81
theacoustician said:
My sister was busted for trying to ship wine from the Biltmore to Fla. They only gave her a warning, but since you can't ship liquor to that state at all, I guess someone is paying attention.

Side note : I think you'd have a better time sending it overnight. Less chance of breakage and sitting out in the hot sun for several days would make the beer skunk by the time it got to its destination.

Are you serious? How much was she sending? Did she even put it in a plain cardboard box? If I can get absinthe sent to me from halfway across the earth with no intervention then I'm sure you can ship a bottle of ripple across a couple of state lines.
 

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
24,069
1,485
573
<3
Marklar
₥2,990
itburnswhenipee said:
Are you serious? How much was she sending? Did she even put it in a plain cardboard box? If I can get absinthe sent to me from halfway across the earth with no intervention then I'm sure you can ship a bottle of ripple across a couple of state lines.
It depends on the state. Some states have "official" supply and distribution guidelines that are part of the administrative code. Usually distributors have to be licensed and can only ship to licensed liquor stores. Here in NY you can ship an unlimited quantity of wine or beer but liquor has to be purchased at a liquor store.

And you can ship anything USPS with the proper forms ~.^
 

kiwi

Messin’ with Sasquatch
Apr 22, 2005
20,926
8,968
623
Summer
Marklar
₥9,519
Just make sure not to include a return address so they don't know where it came from if it is stopped by someone.
 

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
4,158
1
232
Marklar
₥5
bast_imret said:
Dude, if Drool can ship poo and porn to Erage, you should be able to send alcohol.

You're forgetting the goatse. Don't forget the goatse. I can't forget the goatse :(