Magic electricity. Solar power is fun and impresses the ladies

I've looked into solar water heating. Its the only really economical thing so far.

Trivia: The making of solar panels is HORRIBLE for the environment. They use a metric fuck ton of nasty chemicals that, since they are manufactured in Asia, just get dumped into the water supply.

I've looked into solar water heating. Its the only really economical thing so far.

Trivia: The making of solar panels is HORRIBLE for the environment. They use a metric fuck ton of nasty chemicals that, since they are manufactured in Asia, just get dumped into the water supply.

Bah, screw you.

I've got my extra-batteried Prius COVERED in solar panels. Who the heck cares what it's doing and going to do to the environment, I'm saving money on gas!

Most solar setups don't even need full sunlight. I hear something like 60% of direct sun is enough to generate a sufficient amount of power, depending on the setup. In other words, cloudy days will still generate electricity, just not peak amounts.

You are correct sir. The minute the sun is up the charge controller lights up and starts charging the batteries.

high amerage batteries = $$$$$$ and need to be replaced every 3 years or so.

plus you want them in your garage becuase they're heavy as hell too. :(

also batts are 12vdc, converting them up to 120vac you lose quite a bit.

outside of that, it'll be awesome to get off the grid at least during sunshine.

Last edited:
high amerage batteries = $$$$$$ and need to be replaced every 3 years or so.

plus you want them in your garage becuase they're heavy as hell too. :(

also batts are 12vdc, converting them up to 120vac you lose quite a bit.

outside of that, it'll be awesome to get off the grid at least during sunshine.

Depends on the batteries. And you mean Amp Hours not amperage.

Plus having them in your garage again depends on the battery type. The type I'm using, as most do, give off hydrogen gas as they charge. That gas can be flammable if allowed to build up. AGM type batteries are completely sealed and do not off gas but cost three times as much as a regular battery.

Where'd you get your battery? I hear Ed's Batteries in Westbrook is a pretty decent place. Will even deliver for free depending on total order. I need to pick up new UPS batteries for the 8 UPS units I have, refurb the units, and resell them. Buying online sucks ass with shipping costs.

edit: it just occurred to me how clean the power coming out of that system will be for your electronics. I amazes me how my retards power their TVs and computers from generators. Most generators have shitty outputs. Just watch the lights dim and flicker.

Last edited:
Plus having them in your garage again depends on the battery type. The type I'm using, as most do, give off hydrogen gas as they charge. That gas can be flammable if allowed to build up. AGM type batteries are completely sealed and do not off gas but cost three times as much as a regular battery.

sealed or not sealed, they weigh so much you want to be able to easily wheel them out of somewhere.

Where'd you get your battery? I hear Ed's Batteries in Westbrook is a pretty decent place. Will even deliver for free depending on total order. I need to pick up new UPS batteries for the 8 UPS units I have, refurb the units, and resell them. Buying online sucks ass with shipping costs.

edit: it just occurred to me how clean the power coming out of that system will be for your electronics. I amazes me how my retards power their TVs and computers from generators. Most generators have shitty outputs. Just watch the lights dim and flicker.

I got that marine battery at BJ's actually. I havent decided if I'll spend the money on some AGM batt's or not though. But yeah, Ed's Batteries is slick. I picked up a set of replacement UPS batteries from them once for work for an APC. They have everything you can possibly imagine.

Last edited: