made in china

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
if you owned an american company would you be confortable at this point outsourcing your production to china? years ago kathy lee got bashed to hell and back when it was discovered that her clothing line was being made in far east sweat shops but it seems no one cares anymore and everyone does it

I just saw another lead paint recall for varying items including kiddie jeff gordon racing helmets. Is getting your name on the news for dangerous toys worth the savings?

if I was doing it I think I'd have to pull my production back home...you?

It is harder for companies to use domestic only product. They would have to sell at higher prices than others, which is a killer on commodity products. If it is a specialized product, then it would be easier to do.

It would also require heavy use of the "we sell domestic, USA product only!!" and lots of flying eagles.

note to self: stop randomly posting wierdness while drunk in threads.

on topic: you are providing valued job and experince to people who might otherwise not have enough money to leave thier shithole of a country and come here and make something great of themselves.

Nope wouldn't feel comfortable to outsource anything to another country. But as american customers, we want our good cheap. The only way to get them cheap is for someone paid pennies on the dollar to put it together, or make the parts and ship them to the states for assembly (US automakers, etc). So until we as Americans put our money where our mouth is, products will continue to be made overseas.
That said, I try to buy American when I can, but it's almost impossible. I know some family here in the States documented as a family switching to American made products only and they had to give up quite a bit and spend a lot more to do so.

There are plenty of high quality products made in China and there are plenty of high quality products made in America that cost the same as inferior Chinese products. It depends on the industry and how much effort you're willing to put into finding a company appropriate to your needs.

That being said the main reason for me to own a company would be to have easier access to a product or service I like. The second reason is to give back to my community in the form of employment opportunity. Outsourcing causes issues with both.

There are plenty of high quality products made in China and there are plenty of high quality products made in America that cost the same as inferior Chinese products. It depends on the industry and how much effort you're willing to put into finding a company appropriate to your needs.

i'd love to see a list or reference guide for this. (that's not a challenge..i really would.)

i'd love to see a list or reference guide for this. (that's not a challenge..i really would.)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2007-10-04-toy-fear_N.htm

None of the recent high-profile toy recalls because of lead or lead paint involved U.S.-made toys. But U.S.-made toys aren't necessarily safer than those made overseas, according to data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

U.S.-made toys were the subject of four of the 40 toy recalls the CPSC announced in the 2006 fiscal year, or 10%. Chinese-made toys were the subject of 28, or 70%. The other recalls were divided among toys made elsewhere in Asia and Europe.

That means China had a lower percentage of recalls than its 80% market share, while the USA's share of recalls is about the same as its estimated 10% share of sales. In fiscal 2007, which began Oct. 1, 2006, CPSC's recall efforts largely focused on lead issues, and China's share of toy recalls jumped to 88% of recalls in the 12 months ended last week.

"What's the difference between American toys that are risky and Chinese toys that are risky?" asks David Ropeik, a risk communication consultant and former instructor at the Harvard School of Public Health. "One comes from someplace else. It feels scarier."

Most toy recalls are for poor design, not poor manufacturing, says Hari Bapuji, lead author of an August study of U.S. toy recalls.

The study of 680 recalls since 1974 found that 76% were due to design flaws, 10% because of manufacturing problems. The design flaws were the fault of the U.S.-based toy designers, not the foreign manufacturers, the study claims.

Last edited:

So would I. There are various websites out there that list "American-made" companies but I question their veracity. If I find something reliable I'll let y'all know.

That being said the main reason for me to own a company would be to have easier access to a product or service I like. The second reason is to give back to my community in the form of employment opportunity. Outsourcing causes issues with both.

Says the guy who dry-humps the SKS at every turn. :rolleyes: