Mad Cow

ChikkenNoodul said:
Well if it's just the odd ones then I'd be worried

I thought it was some sort of British In-n-Out Burger...you know, Odd Burger's Drive-thru or something

dreamwalker said:
It will probably be made a much bigger deal by the media than it really needs to be.

According to the sources I've seen there have been fewer than 200 confirmed and probable cases of vCJD (the variant on Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease that may be related to eating beef from cattle with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy)
worldwide among the hundreds of thousands of people who may have consumed BSE-contaminated beef products. That isn't exactly what the CDC would consider an epidemic.

Yeah I blame the media for blowing things out of proportions. They just love to sensationalize cause that gives them more airtime and viewers.

Pandora said:
Yeah I blame the media for blowing things out of proportions. They just love to sensationalize cause that gives them more airtime and viewers.

Cruetzfeldt-Jakob Disease is a very serious thing to anyone affected by it, as it is a fatal brain disease, but it is a rare disorder. It has also been linked to
contaminated corneal transplants, electrode implants, dura mater grafts, and of human growth hormone, and 10 to 15 percent of CJD cases are inherited. Very few people in the general population ever need to be concerned about it, but the media can make it seem like an epidemic sweeping the country :rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned about cows with rabies than mad cow disease.

depends. a mad cow scare could really hurt the cattle industry here. i wouldn't worry too much about contracting mad cow seeing as getting it "most likely" comes from eating a mad cow. there haven't been very many documented cases in the entire world.

NeedMoreEmo said:
If you think thats a problem you should have been in Britain a few years ago.

I was in England/Scotland/Wales a couple years ago when there was the foot and mouth ( or hoof and mouth, I can't remember which its called suddenly) stuff going on. We were out in the country to look at Hadrians Wall and it was blocked off with signs and orange mesh stuff.

dreamwalker said:
Cruetzfeldt-Jakob Disease is a very serious thing to anyone affected by it, as it is a fatal brain disease, but it is a rare disorder. It has also been linked to
contaminated corneal transplants, electrode implants, dura mater grafts, and of human growth hormone, and 10 to 15 percent of CJD cases are inherited. Very few people in the general population ever need to be concerned about it, but the media can make it seem like an epidemic sweeping the country :rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned about cows with rabies than mad cow disease.

Funny you should mention that- I'm giving blood today and they ask every time without fail if I have that. I would think that if I did have it, I wouldn't be giving blood every 3 months would I?? Idiots.

The local news had a heyday a few months back when a farmer in Washington had a single cow with mad cow's disease sent to slaughter- they quarantined his farm, pulled back hundreds of pounds of beef and put the poor guy through the ringer on tv. They made it sound like it was his fault too. :(