Lotteries

Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
finally checked the lotto ticket I bought on april 4th yesterday. I bought 3 tix and out of 18 #'s I got one. I'm an occasional quick pick'r (like kiki apparently) probably spending 10 bucks a year on it.

we had done a good deed that wknd (ja brought HOME two students from her school FOR THE WEEKEND .. prego 19 y.o. and her 22 y.o. boyfriend who had been evicted and were awaiting her dad to come get her and take her back to coral gables :waw: ) and I thought maybe the karma gods would smile..

but what are yall thoughts on lotteries?

pray on the poor?

generating money for education?

fixed?

I'll play when I feel randy and actually walk into a gas station at the same time.

Which is rare.

If I won the only person I would tell is Zac.

Some people refer to it as "stupid tax"
From what I saw when I was working in a convenience store that description isnt far off. People would come in with STACKS of cards filled out, like 100$ worth at a time. And buy like fifty bucks worth of them scratch tickets, and be rude asses about scratching that shit off right at the counter makin a mess and shit.
Buying some once in a while aint no big thing, but for some people that shit is out of control.

The lotteries over here are freakin' huge! Maryland lottery regularly does 200+ million.. Holy hell that's a lot of money! If I won that I'd buy a car for everyone I know. Including everyone here, and their mothers..

pretty much my opinions as well.

i mean, why is it that seemingly "poor" people buy the most? just the thought of instant riches? can they not keep track of income vs. expenditure? and SEE that they're not in the black?

but yeah J Pat, I see em all the time. probably only make 300 a week and then spend 50 to 100 of that on lotto? doesn't make sense.

On the rare occasion I buy a lottery ticket, I look at like entertainment. I figure i get $5-$10 worth of enjoyment out of "what would I do with $xmillions?" question. Just thinking about the exotic cars and fantasy vacations is worth the few $$. So it's almost like a movie ticket in a sense. I'm paying for a fantasy as it were.

Oddly enough, the state initially earmarked the money from the lottery for the augmentation of education spending, but, in the end, they rerouted the original funding elsewhere and replaced it with lottery money. The educational system experienced little to no net change.

yeah, that lie has always pissed me off.

lotto monies still go to education in GA...that was the auspice under which it was created and they haven't strayed

On the rare occasion I buy a lottery ticket, I look at like entertainment. I figure i get $5-$10 worth of enjoyment out of "what would I do with $xmillions?" question. Just thinking about the exotic cars and fantasy vacations is worth the few $$. So it's almost like a movie ticket in a sense. I'm paying for a fantasy as it were.

interesting.

Oddly enough, the state initially earmarked the money from the lottery for the augmentation of education spending, but, in the end, they rerouted the original funding elsewhere and replaced it with lottery money. The educational system experienced little to no net change.

exactly. and now they can market it on their billboards. "$7 billion on education since 2000"

yeah, cause they took the money earmarked for education away. :waw:

I only play the lotto when it's over $100 million. I can't be bothered with mere tens of millions. I play scratch offs a lot, because it's so easy to break even and thus not feel bad about throwing away money.

I feel this way about it too. I spend $5.00 a year on the lottery. Usually I'll bother with it if it's an unusually big jackpot. I like the dream, but I'm pretty sure I'll never win.