Lord of the Rings question...

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
That's more expensive than just picking up the extended editions individually when they were on sale at first released. Most of them are $20.
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
ieholly said:
right, and that was exactly the point i was trying to make.

point is the books have been around for a long time. then the movie(s) came out and now its super popular. its a fad. it will die out and then someone will reprint the books or make a new movie 30 years from now and it will be popular all over again for a whole new set of weirdos. all of this is regardless of how deep and meaningful you think the books are.
The LoTR books are the second most read books in history next to the Bible. Considering the Bible had 1950 years head start, I'd say that's pretty good. I'd hardly call its popularity a fad.
 

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
It's gonna be an all-out geekfest when I finally have the RotK:EE in my hot little hands....... I'm planning on sending the wife and kids away for a day so a couple friends and I can watch 'em all back to back to back.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
BigDov said:
It's gonna be an all-out geekfest when I finally have the RotK:EE in my hot little hands....... I'm planning on sending the wife and kids away for a day so a couple friends and I can watch 'em all back to back to back.
That room is gonna smell so bad.
 

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Ready for some Heroin
Oct 15, 2004
40,801
5,856
723
Robin Hood Country
ieholly said:
right, and that was exactly the point i was trying to make.

point is the books have been around for a long time. then the movie(s) came out and now its super popular. its a fad. it will die out and then someone will reprint the books or make a new movie 30 years from now and it will be popular all over again for a whole new set of weirdos. all of this is regardless of how deep and meaningful you think the books are.

What do you mean reprint? There's always a whole bookshelf in stores dedicated to Tolkien, there always has been and always will be. :wtf:
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
BigDov said:
It's gonna be an all-out geekfest when I finally have the RotK:EE in my hot little hands....... I'm planning on sending the wife and kids away for a day so a couple friends and I can watch 'em all back to back to back.
It's been available here at CNN Center since last week. New Line Cinema is a Time Warner Company. :D
 

Percy Thrillington

Too Many People
Sep 30, 2004
66,504
34,209
1,323
51
Uranus
Steam
heyfubuddy
theacoustician said:
The LoTR books are the second most read books in history next to the Bible. Considering the Bible had 1950 years head start, I'd say that's pretty good. I'd hardly call its popularity a fad.



pfft the bible just a fad
its boring and people will get over it
 

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
9,646
3
41
50
close to Seattle
theacoustician said:
I didn't buy it. I think I'm getting it as a Christmas gift.

Yeah, I specifically asked for this for a gift too........ I just hope that whoever in my family drew my name pays very close attention to the list I made this year :eek:
 

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Ready for some Heroin
Oct 15, 2004
40,801
5,856
723
Robin Hood Country
ChikkenNoodul said:
There's a bit of that in the bible too, so I hear

Hmm, not really so much but there is this cool bit where the Prophet...Amos or someone says if you don't be nice to people he'll flog you and put fishhooks in your body and drag you through the streets. BADASS