Ontopic Longer Coke ad to air tonight during the Olympics. Lets discuss language...

No, more Latinos in Montreal
However he's in the construction business and most people speak Portuguese Italian and Spanish.
My exHusb was/in construction as well and altho he's fluent in English he says he spends 90% of his day communicating with people in Portuguese.

In Toronto there are tons and tons of Indians and Pakistanis

Thank god he's not a stereotype. At least being a Latino who works construction and doesn't speak English he's really breaking the mold.

My French sucks but Kiko is learning it soooooo fast lol

i use to travel to Quebec a lot when I was younger on fishing trips with my Dad up in the Maniwaki and Grand-Remous area. Back then the language barrier was huge at times, none of the locals spoke English or if they could refused to. I got to high school and decided I would take french so I could at least understand what people were saying when I was up there. Three years of French and when I went back up there...WOW! LOL! I could still hardly comprehend what anyone was saying. I remember feeling like I had accomplished something when I figured out a waitress was telling me my pizza would take 20 minutes to cook.

Montreal, in a nutshell:

eS01gDk.jpg

Even now it is a real PITA for a lot to immigrate to the US. I watched a few friends have their family try to and one couldn't get her husband here for a few years. It sucks sometimes. I was reading (not sure how accurate it is as there wasn't a real source) that at least 2/3 of those who come to the US speak it really well. Maybe not 100% fluent but good enough.

English is tough to learn, but I'm not convinced that people who move here (at least legally) don't at least try.

I guess it depends. My brother in law immigrated from south Africa and it was a slam dunk for him to get a 10 year green card. He said it was just paperwork and an interview to make sure it wasn't a sham marriage and boom, citizen.

I guess it depends. My brother in law immigrated from south Africa and it was a slam dunk for him to get a 10 year green card. He said it was just paperwork and an interview to make sure it wasn't a sham marriage and boom, citizen.

It really does depend. Your BIL married an American right? That does make a difference from what I understand. Though in the case I know of and obviously being vague just because it isn't my life - she wasn't born in the US. They didn't get married in the US either because if they did it would've made it harder. She was a naturalized citizen of the US though.

Because they were both from somewhere else it wasn't cut and dry like for your BIL or for a friend from the UK that I know of (similar married=green card no plans to be a citizen though) She also had her mom's visa denied after the birth of her 2nd son to come visit. So not everywhere is as easy as that. I think it absolutely sucked too that her mom was denied a visit too. Her mom had to wait until the boy was well enough to travel (birth defects = surgeries) to their home country to finally meet him in person.

I've seen others struggle too as international students moving to the US permanently and becoming citizens. It can really suck.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks there aren't areas of the US where English isn't really spoken should be with me in Texas right now.

:lol: habla espanol, Nina?
Un pequito
*Spanish at 50mph*
Fuuuuuuuuu

Doesnt help we are across the street from Mexico right now.