Ontopic Long live Vinyl/what will they stop making next?

adi

Brown Thunder
Apr 16, 2016
Marklar
₥66,746
Last year they stopped making VHS cassettes, i think CDs will be next, what say?
I'm happy that vinyl survived the other formats.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
Vinyl will always survive because it has the BEST SOUND QUALITY OMG SO MUCH BETTER THAN DIGITAL.

(I wonder what % of new vinyl is cut from digital files sent to the pressing plant. I'm gonna wager 100%.)

Vinyl was basically dead. They were down to only 3 places left that could still press. Thank god punk and grunge kept it around long enough for it to become mildly mainstream.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and adi
Vinyl will always survive because it has the BEST SOUND QUALITY OMG SO MUCH BETTER THAN DIGITAL.

(I wonder what % of new vinyl is cut from digital files sent to the pressing plant. I'm gonna wager 100%.)
Yup, but...
listening to records on those huge old Tannoys or equivalent speakers is just too good

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

Who's the music guy who is making massive digital music files (of older stuff) trying to improve digital sound and longer term storage?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi

Yeah except 99% of vinly you buy now is a digital master pressed onto vinyl.

• Gravy
I do love vinyl though. I grew up on my dad's record collection, pulling out random LPs and putting them on the record player. Fell in love with 60-70s rock from a young age. I was doing this when my junior high classmates were discovering shit like Bon Jovi, and mocking the shit out of me for listening to shit like Jethro Tull (aka 'some fag with a flute')

There's just something about going through the effort of hauling out this great big thing, placing the needle on, sitting back and listening to the warmth and snap/crackle/pop of a dirty/scratched record. It's like sitting by a campfire or something, hard to explain.

The beegees LP still sounds bloody amazing, if you are lucky you can find some amazing fully analogue cuts.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
..i found some at this place here called chor bazaar (Thief's market), over the years.
Beegees Saturday night
tears for fears songs from the big chair
supertramp paris
Kraftwerk (the one with spacelab)
The best of Booker T
etc.

My dad had this record, it's apparently worth a bunch of money now.

The song was the opening track of the album. April Wine covered it and everyone thinks it's their song instead.

• Gravy