Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
ROGERS, Ark. – An Arkansas woman has given birth to her 18th child.

Michelle Duggar delivered the baby girl by Caesarean section Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers. The baby, named Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar, weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces and was 20 inches long.

"The ultimate Christmas gift from God," said Jim Bob Duggar, the father of the 18 children. "She's just absolutely beautiful, like her mom and her sisters."

The Duggars now have 10 sons and eight daughters.

Jim Bob Duggar said Michelle started having contractions Wednesday night. She needed the C-section, her third, because the baby was transverse. Jim Bob said both baby and mother were doing well Thursday night.

"We both would love to have more," he said.

And in case you're wondering whether they're religious....

YES! The Duggars are conservative Baptists who endorse the Quiverfull movement and the teachings of Bill Gothard. (Kids are a gift from God and no birth control will ever be used.)

Seriously, they can afford them, they are taken care of, everyone looks happy, that's an awesome house, who cares how many kids they have.

Seriously, they can afford them, they are taken care of, everyone looks happy, that's an awesome house, who cares how many kids they have.

Because this is basically my aunt's family and I can tell you, it does not end well. They have 10 or 11 children total and were very religious people. Everything seemed ultra perfect and clean when they were growing up, but now, that family is a mess. Without dragging out family baggage, I'll skip to the moral of the story : the children did not get enough attention and guidance from the adults when growing up. The older ones were expected to raise the younger ones and that robbed them of being kids. The young ones were raised by their siblings who really weren't prepared emotionally or experience wise to do so. There is simply no way two people can do a good job with that many kids, especially when one of them has to work enough to earn a living and provide food and shelter for that many people.

Because this is basically my aunt's family and I can tell you, it does not end well. They have 10 or 11 children total and were very religious people. Everything seemed ultra perfect and clean when they were growing up, but now, that family is a mess. Without dragging out family baggage, I'll skip to the moral of the story : the children did not get enough attention and guidance from the adults when growing up. The older ones were expected to raise the younger ones and that robbed them of being kids. The young ones were raised by their siblings who really weren't prepared emotionally or experience wise to do so. There is simply no way two people can do a good job with that many kids, especially when one of them has to work enough to earn a living and provide food and shelter for that many people.

cosign

I have a friend who came from a family of 13. Her family are all well adjusted and raising their own kids now. It can turn out just fine.

As I posted earlier, this is my mom's family. My mom is the 5th youngest, or 14th born. Her mom died when she was 10, her dad when she was 12. The oldest boy raised the ones that were still at home, along with his own kids at the same time. Trust me when I say it was stressful on all parties involved.

theac's point is my concern. why are they having all these children? there's no way each child can get individual attention. they work like a unit and i don't see how they have room to be individuals. or feel special to their parents. that might not be the case, but that's my concern for these children. and i'm not sure that any one of them would feel comfortable speaking about how they really feel anyway. :eek: i think it's kind of sad, actually...i feel bad for all the kids, and especially the oldest that are given parental rights/roles in order to keep order. i understand that families are teams, but is there not a point where it becomes irresponsible to have children you can't deal with?

Wat?

I have a friend who came from a family of 13. Her family are all well adjusted and raising their own kids now. It can turn out just fine.
I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

As I posted earlier, this is my mom's family. My mom is the 5th youngest, or 14th born. Her mom died when she was 10, her dad when she was 12. The oldest boy raised the ones that were still at home, along with his own kids at the same time. Trust me when I say it was stressful on all parties involved.
See? Not a hot idea. What happens if one of them dies? She's at high risk every time she pops out another kid. If he were to go, how the hell would they support this many kids? It just seems to me that people with families this large aren't thinking about what's best for the kids, they're thinking about what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.