fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,324
Steam
mattressfish
Blogger > NASA

My earlier column this week detailed the work of a volunteer team to assess problems with US temperature data used for climate modeling. One of these people is Steve McIntyre, who operates the site climateaudit.org. While inspecting historical temperature graphs, he noticed a strange discontinuity, or "jump" in many locations, all occurring around the time of January, 2000.

These graphs were created by NASA's Reto Ruedy and James Hansen (who shot to fame when he accused the administration of trying to censor his views on climate change). Hansen refused to provide McKintyre with the algorithm used to generate graph data, so McKintyre reverse-engineered it. The result appeared to be a Y2K bug in the handling of the raw data.

McKintyre notified the pair of the bug; Ruedy replied and acknowledged the problem as an "oversight" that would be fixed in the next data refresh.

NASA has now silently released corrected figures, and the changes are truly astounding. The warmest year on record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place. 1921 takes third. In fact, 5 of the 10 warmest years on record now all occur before World War II. Anthony Watts has put the new data in chart form, along with a more detailed summary of the events.

The effect of the correction on global temperatures is minor (some 1-2% less warming than originally thought), but the effect on the U.S. global warming propaganda machine could be huge.

Then again -- maybe not. I strongly suspect this story will receive little to no attention from the mainstream media.

5625_Detroit_lakes_GISSplot.jpg

lol y2k

I'd like to see the progression over the last 2000 years, in order to determine whether the modernization of society and the large scale introduction of indusrial pollutants have had a noticeable affect on average global temperatures.

Oh wait, so would the rest of the world.

Global warming activists & such wont be going away anytime soon regardless of what data is uncovered or discovered. Its already become a huge money-generating industry. Its here to stay. At least for a while.

Both sides of the argument are retarded. No one's paying enough attention to the real issue and is using the planet's health as a political tool. It's fucking sad but if we can't even agree how to treat our own home then we really don't deserve this place.

I'd like to see the progression over the last 2000 years, in order to determine whether the modernization of society and the large scale introduction of indusrial pollutants have had a noticeable affect on average global temperatures.

Oh wait, so would the rest of the world.

Actually they can go back much father than that using ice samples. Old ice is great for a chilly martini.

The funniest part was that in the 70s they thought global cooling was going to kill us. Come to find out, scientists haven't a fucking clue.

Both sides of the argument are retarded. No one's paying enough attention to the real issue and is using the planet's health as a political tool. It's fucking sad but if we can't even agree how to treat our own home then we really don't deserve this place.
amen. when did people completely lose the ability to discuss things without taking sides anyway? i can honestly say that no one has convinced me one way or the other whether global warming is largely the result of human activities or whether there's anything we can do about it.

amen. when did people completely lose the ability to discuss things without taking sides anyway? i can honestly say that no one has convinced me one way or the other whether global warming is largely the result of human activities or whether there's anything we can do about it.

To me, it doesn't matter. I don't care about global warming or global cooling or carbon credits or whether we're "coming out of an ice age". The bottom line remains that we all SHOULD treat our planet a lot better. It's the only one we have. It doesn't matter why but each and every one of us has the responsibility to clean up after ourselves and make some kind of a fucking difference.

Don't litter.
Don't leave lights on you don't need.
Don't drive unnecessarily large vehicles (guilty as charged, I'm trying really hard to change that though!).
Don't buy styrofoam ANYTHING.
Recycle aluminum cans.
Switch to biodiesel if you can.
Buy local, avoid organic stuff shipped from other countries.
Buy shit made in America. That's not about nationalism, it's about saving FUEL.
Cut down on heating and cooling usage.
Ride a bike more often.
Carpool.
Vote with your wallet and stop buying shit from companies you know are mass polluters. Buy from greener companies. One of the reasons my next car might be a Subaru is because they are probably the most environmentally-friendly car company out there.

People need to stop bitching about global warming or bitching about the hippies that bitch about global warming. We only get ONE FUCKING PLANET. I don't care what kind of effect we have on it, it's still painfully fucking obvious that a lot of the shit we do is BAD FOR IT. That and it keeps us under the thumb of the fucking Saudis and Chavez and other OPEC douchenozzles.

To me, it doesn't matter. I don't care about global warming or global cooling or carbon credits or whether we're "coming out of an ice age". The bottom line remains that we all SHOULD treat our planet a lot better. It's the only one we have. It doesn't matter why but each and every one of us has the responsibility to clean up after ourselves and make some kind of a fucking difference.

Don't litter.
Don't drive unnecessarily large vehicles (guilty as charged, I'm trying really hard to change that though!).
Recycle aluminum cans.
Ride a bike more often.
Carpool.
Vote with your wallet and stop buying shit from companies you know are mass polluters. Buy from greener companies. One of the reasons my next car might be a Subaru is because they are probably the most environmentally-friendly car company out there.

People need to stop bitching about global warming or bitching about the hippies that bitch about global warming. We only get ONE FUCKING PLANET. I don't care what kind of effect we have on it, it's still painfully fucking obvious that a lot of the shit we do is BAD FOR IT. That and it keeps us under the thumb of the fucking Saudis and Chavez and other OPEC douchenozzles.

967_tmyk.gif

Don't litter.
Recycle aluminum cans.
Ride a bike more often.
Carpool.

Amen to that.