Halp Lofty Loft with a Side of Loft

Gonna go see my Uncle. I forgot that he was contractor/construction worker. I'll post my solution when I get back.

I want your opinions.

Why would you volunteer for something you don't know how to do and then expect other people to do it for you? That's just...I'm not even sure there is one word for what that is. Bizarre. That's for sure.

I just asked a question and I didn't know where to start. Sheesh, your so damn mean :rolleyes:

My parents hired a carpenter to work on/renovate/expand their upstairs and the guy was amazing. He was a bit of a simpleton, not too bright and he lacked ambition and drive, but he could build anything. He transformed their upstairs and made a good bit of money in the process, which he used to support his family of 4. Very sturdy work, top class. Find someone like that. He was referred to them by a friend.

My parents hired a carpenter to work on/renovate/expand their upstairs and the guy was amazing. He was a bit of a simpleton, not too bright and he lacked ambition and drive, but he could build anything. He transformed their upstairs and made a good bit of money in the process, which he used to support his family of 4. Very sturdy work, top class. Find someone like that. He was referred to them by a friend.

Can you give him a referral?

Just go acoustic. It will save a fortune. Also, wait till you're old enough to buy your own place so you don't have to adapt your parents garage. I didn't get where I am today by letting my children build fire hazards over the garage. Actually, kill yourself. It will save us all grief.

Just go acoustic. It will save a fortune. Also, wait till you're old enough to buy your own place so you don't have to adapt your parents garage. I didn't get where I am today by letting my children build fire hazards over the garage. Actually, kill yourself. It will save us all grief.

That was a roller coaster.

First off, I love eileen. :heart:

Second, everyone here might be focusing on the legal bs like permits and tax liability's, but that's exactly the mediocre shit you should call your city and ask about, include it on your project and even if your plans are crappy, you'll win for sure because your package will be the most complete.

Throw in green initiatives too like how you plan on minimizing landfill waste by recycleing or repurposing materials from demolishing stuff in the garage. Tint the windows for energy efficiency, insulation, etc.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
1. It's asking for a 1/2 bath so I need to know where the hook ups for the drain and the water supply are located. In order to figure plumbing cost, patch and repair, and stucco and/or drywall. rough cost:$6,500.00 connecting to existing sewer from main house and running to 2nd floor including all the fixtures

2. How much electricity will be needed to run all the studio and if the existing box can handle it or if it needs an upgrade. A rough cost keeping existing panel (I think it need to be upgraded): $4,500.00..lights,outlets,switches etc

3. The 2nd floor elevation needs to determined by an engineer on weight factor for the size of the cross beams 2"x10",2"x12" etc. Rough cost with carpet finish: $5,000 (Is it possible to use tile instead)

4. plans and permit..rough cost: $2,800.00
5. Inspections,deliveries and dumpsters: $2,200.00

Does this sound about right?

Please don't destroy me or my for being unsure about my costs and estimates.