Halp Lofty Loft with a Side of Loft

The OP said he needed plumbing of some sort. Furthermore, when building finished walls, code calls for outlets every 6 to 8 feet depending on the municipality, and usually some type of lighting (or a switched outlet) you can turn on when you enter the room.

ALSO, and this is important, if you build these walls without a permit, the city can make you rip them out if not built correctly, fine you for not getting a permit, or charge you out the ass for a backdated permit.

So yeah, get a permit up front and do it right.
Of course this varies wildly by jurisdiction. So the proper course of action is to... hire a lawyer/architect to advise you of the necessary requirements for that specific locality.

You can also put a huge tarp over everything and hire non english speaking workers. That way when the city inspector drives by they wont be able to see what's going on, and by the time they get a warrant you can be like "it always looked this way, I swears"

Last edited:
I'd think that 2 layers of drywall separated by furring strips would be good, cheap soundproofing. And cork flooring.
No. Sound transmission is through rigid materials, particularly the screws in drywall.

Usually you build a second wall airgapped with the the exterior wall and fill the space between with vermiculite or something. There are also little channel strips that work like your idea, but they are made to no transmit the vibrations between the sheets of drywall. Sheer mass doesnt have much deadening effect, it's the composition of the materials that make up that mass. Whatever absorbs vibrations is good.

I saw a radio booth that had kiln dried sand in the walls once.

Why would you volunteer for something you don't know how to do and then expect other people to do it for you? That's just...I'm not even sure there is one word for what that is. Bizarre. That's for sure.

I think the word you are looking for is 'Governmental'

No. Sound transmission is through rigid materials, particularly the screws in drywall.

Usually you build a second wall airgapped with the the exterior wall and fill the space between with vermiculite or something. There are also little channel strips that work like your idea, but they are made to no transmit the vibrations between the sheets of drywall. Sheer mass doesnt have much deadening effect, it's the composition of the materials that make up that mass. Whatever absorbs vibrations is good.

I saw a radio booth that had kiln dried sand in the walls once.

Well, the room could also float on a pressurized chamber. Or a vacuum in between the walls. But back in reality...

1) $15k on whores
2) $1k on quality ball gags (soundproofing)
3) $1000 on lube
4) $1000 on rubber sheets
5) $2k on cocaine

A+

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person