Halp Lofty Loft with a Side of Loft

Rollout

Mothercucker
Apr 8, 2010
Miami, Florida
Marklar
₥948
Okay since no website that I have Googled had went straight to the point on this, I'm going to post the question here.

How do I demolish/add on to a loft. Granted I have no :tard:idea:tard: on how to renovate a house or garage but I need yall help. PLOX :rollout:

To get in-depth:

I have to renovate the loft level of a detached garage to create a band practice/recording studio. The main level of the garage is off limits and cannot be changed or altered in any way except to accommodate the necessary plumbing for the loft level.

- There is a budget of $25,000
- It must be soundproofed

^^ - I don't have to literally renovate anything, It's just a scenario for a little project at the upcoming fair. (Winner gets $5, a "silk" ribbon, and street cred :cool:)

DesignBoard2.jpg

DesignBoard1.jpg

^ Can't touch on the garage except for the plumbing

If I need to elaborate on something or if you have a questions please ask?

The first thing you do is check your zoning ordinance to make sure you can legally construct an extension for that type of use. Permits for that use would never fly here on a residential property. The reason you don't know about how to begin constructing a loft is because you're not an engineer. If you were going to build something like this you'll probably want to consult one, especially since you may need them to at the very least sign off on your building plans (if required in your area).

If it's just a school project for shits and giggles who the fuck cares.

The first thing you do is check your zoning ordinance to make sure you can legally construct an extension for that type of use.

Yeah that's a problem. They don't specify where this is being built. They just give us this blank picture.
Construct2.jpg

From what I've been told, we can use our schools location though.

Permits for that use would never fly here on a residential property. The reason you don't know about how to begin constructing a loft is because you're not an engineer. If you were going to build something like this you'll probably want to consult one, especially since you may need them to at the very least sign off on your building plans (if required in your area).

I thought I would have to find a contractor or something.

As for not being an engi, your wrong. I've constructed hundreds of foreign objects and buildings out of legos; mined, crafted, and built several structures in a virtual block world sim; and I'm a master of Solidworks and Mastercam. BIAOTCH!

What do you say to that?

If it's just a school project for shits and giggles who the fuck cares.

I do.

Casper is telling you what you need to hear, kid.

Loft just means a room under a roof so that is what I'm going to assume. Also assuming it's on the second story.

If you have to add more floor space to a second story with a gable roof, or really any sloping roof, WITHOUT adding to the footprint of the building: You have to change the structure of the roof. You could change it to a gambrel, or a mansard style roof without effecting the footprint of the structure, and you would increase the usable floor space but you wouldnt "add" any per se.

You can find sound proofing information in any copy of Architectural Graphic Standards for Residential Construction

Solidworks and Mastercam are both shit programs for architecture. The only thing you should be using them for is designing machine components. Construction is entirely different and 99% of place just use vanilla Autocad.

Last edited:
With that budget hire an architect to draw up a simple plan so you can get a permit and do it correctly.

Soundproofing is $$$$$$$$$.

Not necessarily. I've seen it done for free (of course).

For soundproofing all you need to do is create a room within a room, in other words a shell within the garage/loft space that is a few inches smaller than the actual room. You then insulate that.

It's a lot more complicated than that. But I am not google. Shouldn't cost that much. But then I wouldn't recommend a 16 year old kid did it be fair (or however old you are).

I might be missing something but why would he need water in a band space? And the only electrics can be just an extension cord going through a hole in the wall. Doesn't seem like it's enclosing electrics or water to me.

The OP said he needed plumbing of some sort. Furthermore, when building finished walls, code calls for outlets every 6 to 8 feet depending on the municipality, and usually some type of lighting (or a switched outlet) you can turn on when you enter the room.

ALSO, and this is important, if you build these walls without a permit, the city can make you rip them out if not built correctly, fine you for not getting a permit, or charge you out the ass for a backdated permit.

So yeah, get a permit up front and do it right.

The OP said he needed plumbing of some sort. Furthermore, when building finished walls, code calls for outlets every 6 to 8 feet depending on the municipality, and usually some type of lighting (or a switched outlet) you can turn on when you enter the room.

ALSO, and this is important, if you build these walls without a permit, the city can make you rip them out if not built correctly, fine you for not getting a permit, or charge you out the ass for a backdated permit.

So yeah, get a permit up front and do it right.

I see. Still don't know why he needs plumbling. I would guess he needs a permit in this case. Not sure that's how it works here to be honest.

Last edited: