Halp Loctite Form-a-Thread

If the stuff is supposed to be good to 128 ft./lbs. your head bolts aren't even that tight. I wouldn't be concerned about it holding. I might instead be concerned about being able to get it loose again later if needed though. But, eventually when you "fix it right" you'll be dropping it, drilling it out, and retapping threads or using a helicoil anyway so whatev.

It's just a little clutch cylinder. As long as it's held snugly in place, it'll do its job.

How much is a new clutch cylinder?
What is the price difference in buying a new one Vs. missing her commencement and then buying a new one and paying someone to install it because you are on the side of the road and have no tools?

Junkyard clutch cylinder.
Listen to the taxi guy- i dont know how to fix anything at all, but I do know how to save money on repairs.
Unless the differential in used part vs. New part is negligible.
Edit: nevermind, its a $23 part new on Ebay.

Last edited:
How much is a new clutch cylinder?
What is the price difference in buying a new one Vs. missing her commencement and then buying a new one and paying someone to install it because you are on the side of the road and have no tools?
I read it as the threads in the bellhousing were fucked. I can't think of an instance where it would make sense to even have threads in the mounting points of the slave itself. It's either held to the bell by studs and nuts, or bolts.

If the stuff is supposed to be good to 128 ft./lbs. your head bolts aren't even that tight. I wouldn't be concerned about it holding. I might instead be concerned about being able to get it loose again later if needed though. But, eventually when you "fix it right" you'll be dropping it, drilling it out, and retapping threads or using a helicoil anyway so whatev.

It's just a little clutch cylinder. As long as it's held snugly in place, it'll do its job.
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJoAAAAJDIyMWFlNTI0LTM2ZGEtNDA3Yi04ZWI3LTQyMTk5ODU0NzUyZQ.jpg

I read it as the threads in the bellhousing were fucked. I can't think of an instance where it would make sense to even have threads in the mounting points of the slave itself. It's either held to the bell by studs and nuts, or bolts.

Yeah, looks like.
Makes the argument to repair it properly stronger, though. If it fails away from home, you'd end up buying a new bellhousing. Might be able to find a mechanic who would repair the threads in there, but doing so quickly and in a random city doesn't sound likely.

Yeah, looks like.
Makes the argument to repair it properly stronger, though. If it fails away from home, you'd end up buying a new bellhousing. Might be able to find a mechanic who would repair the threads in there, but doing so quickly and in a random city doesn't sound likely.

Carry a toolbox and some 4hr. Qwik JBWeld.

Leave 4 hours early.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
The way it works is with a release agent on a bolt, forms the threads around it. With the cylinder off I can engage deeper threads to line it all up well. I'm probably just gonna give this a shot. According to someone on the Internet, he's seen fine operating clutches with only one bolt, I don't think this will ever encounter the forces necessary to break it.

I got a ride from a friend lol.

The way it works is with a release agent on a bolt, forms the threads around it. With the cylinder off I can engage deeper threads to line it all up well. I'm probably just gonna give this a shot. According to someone on the Internet, he's seen fine operating clutches with only one bolt, I don't think this will ever encounter the forces necessary to break it.

That's different from what I was thinking then, but I'd still do it.

Even some regular loctite on the stripped bolt, running it in to that point where it grabs a little bit, and letting it set would likely work.

You're right in that there isn't much force at work on the bolts in this case.

If it doesn't work, hey, at least you won't have to sit through a wedding.

Not about strength of one bolt vs two. Its about the line of action of your cylinder, side loading on/in the piston, and the binding and abnormal wear those might lead to. Also a higher safety factor with two bolts from a vibrations and torque standpoint.

If you can engage deeper threads, why not get a longer bolt?

I had a friend whose truck was about 70% JB Weld.

I've used it on a bulldozer radiator. Lasted as Iong as the dozer did.

All used it to build BBQ grills/smokers due to lack of a welder. They eventually rusted through the floor while the JB joints were still intact.

Not about strength of one bolt vs two. Its about the line of action of your cylinder, side loading on/in the piston, and the binding and abnormal wear those might lead to. Also a higher safety factor with two bolts from a vibrations and torque standpoint.

If you can engage deeper threads, why not get a longer bolt?
Not sure how many threads I would have engaged with a longer bolt. I get why it needs precise locating, I don't see how this would cause a problem with that. It's essentially epoxy threads as far as I can tell.

Not sure how many threads I would have engaged with a longer bolt. I get why it needs precise locating, I don't see how this would cause a problem with that. It's essentially epoxy threads as far as I can tell.
You are putting it in without the bracket for that extra length? Possible issue right there. The bracket locates it in relation to the other bolt and the clutch fork. Don't do that and you might easily cock it.

Also, pretty easy to check how many extra threads you might get on it.

5% - Your proposed solution will work just fine. You might even be overthinking it. Don't listen to these booksmart/streetdumb types telling you to spend 3 days ripping your car into 3 pieces just to get somewhere tomorrow.

5% - Your proposed solution will work just fine. You might even be overthinking it. Don't listen to these booksmart/streetdumb types telling you to spend 3 days ripping your car into 3 pieces just to get somewhere tomorrow.

My eyes glazed over some time ago in this thread.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes