Local high school strip searches a student

Josh

Biff Clurton
Oct 9, 2006
East bumfuck.
Marklar
₥7,961
original news article: http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/4321632.html
followup news article:
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/4325390.html

Since we have some parents on the forum here, what would you do or your thoughts on a high school student (or your child) being strip searched at school?

The facts in this particular case:
Incident happened in December 2006.
Female senior at high school.
A school official (not sure if it was a teacher) suspected the student of having drugs on their person.
School resource police officer was not involved in the strip search, but showed up afterwards.
Not sure if the parent of the student was there for the strip search.
Strip search was that the girl had to take off all her clothes from waist up.
No drugs were found...
News of this is just now coming out in public.
The police chief of this town was notified after the fact and also says persons under arrest are not strip-searched (I assume that would happen at the county jail but am not sure).

Pretty crazy if you ask me. Not sure how the school hasn't been sued or that the people involved still work there. I don't think this is normal policy for schools around here.

So what are your thoughts?

I thought the best part of this story was when the reporter for the newspaper went to the school to interview some students outside the school building and the reporter was kicked off campus because he didn't have a pass from the superintendent's office.

I know, right? However it seems to me if the school district paid off the family to keep quiet, that the money would have to be listed in the financial reports and that is public information. Something is real fishy about this story. Either it didn't happen, or something else happened and this is a cover story, or who knows what. Strange....

If I had a seventeen year old daughter and her school strip-searched her I don't know exactly what I'd do but I'd like to think it would land me in jail.

Mommy and daddy taught me that the bad people couldn't do that.

yes, this is ontopic and no, i don't feel like explaining anymore at this time.

As her parent, yes I would sue. That is completely unacceptable and I would not stand for it at all. I wouldn't quit until that school official's name was scared for life.

115894418_8bfd5cfc0d.jpg

An update to this thread:

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/4334846.html

Hey I called it. The school district or the school itself (not known who exactly) paid $15,000 in an out of court settlement. $8,000 going to the parent of the child to be put in a trust, and $7,000 for court fees and attorney's fees.

Oh and the girl was 14 at the time of the search (so I guess she wasn't a senior).
Two female school officials (teachers? not sure) searched the student.
Search was authorized by the Assistant Principal (a male).
He wasn't involved in the search. He was required to give a written apology to the girl and her mother.