WTF Loaner Fly Trap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they call those Cougars now. What kind of cat is that she's holding?

I've been wanting a savannah cat for awhile now, but the big ones are in the 2-4 grand range.

The cat that lady is holding is an F5 Savannah cat. That breeder has F5 kittens for $1000. Which is a really good price.

The F1 Savannahs go for around $5000 - $6000, but the F1 is half wild African Serval.

Scour animal shelters, found a Bengal that way...

We will keep our eyes open for one of those as me and Juli both really like the Bengal.

I highly doubt a Savannah would get dumped at one of those as there unique size gives away it's rareness and thus obvious high value. Ignorant people could easily mistake a Bengal.

Though weirder things have happened.

The cat that lady is holding is an F5 Savannah cat. That breeder has F5 kittens for $1000. Which is a really good price.

The F1 Savannahs go for around $5000 - $6000, but the F1 is half wild African Serval.

F5 is pretty bred down, 1k seems a lot for one. F2-F3 seems to be ideal, F4/F5 are the biggest but border on the wild side. F5's basically latch onto like 2 people and want nothing to do with anyone else. My understanding is the ones bred down, even though they're smaller, are more like dogs than house cats, a lot more social. They'll play fetch and do tricks and all kinds of cool stuff.

Plus they have a lot bigger frame than a normal house cat so they look a lot bigger despite not having to weigh much more.

fyi: they DO have Savannah cat rescue shelters if you look around. bengals have been around a lot longer in the states so are more popular, but savannah cats seem to have better personalities from what i've read.

yeah.... happy this guy didn't get voted into the presidency?

OBjH1.jpg

F5 is pretty bred down, 1k seems a lot for one. F2-F3 seems to be ideal, F4/F5 are the biggest but border on the wild side. F5's basically latch onto like 2 people and want nothing to do with anyone else. My understanding is the ones bred down, even though they're smaller, are more like dogs than house cats, a lot more social. They'll play fetch and do tricks and all kinds of cool stuff.

Plus they have a lot bigger frame than a normal house cat so they look a lot bigger despite not having to weigh much more.

Normally you will not find any Savannah cats under $1000.

And this should help understand the different generations:

As Savannahs are produced by crossbreeding Servals and domestic cats, each generation of Savannahs is marked with a filial number. For example, the cats produced directly from a Serval/domestic Cat cross are the F1 generation, and they are 50% serval.

F1 generation Savannahs are very difficult to produce, due to the significant difference in gestation periods between the Serval and a domestic cat (75 days for a Serval and 65 days for a domestic cat), and sex chromosomes. Pregnancies are often absorbed or aborted, or kittens are born prematurely. Servals can be very picky in choosing mates, and often will not breed a domestic cat.

F1 Savannahs can be as high as 75%. 75% F1's are normally the offspring of a 50% F1 female bred back to a Serval. There have been cases of 87.5% F1 Savannah cats but it is currently not known if they survived to full maturity and fertility is questionable at those percent Serval levels. More common than a 75% F1 is a 62.5% F1 which is the product of a "A" F2 (25% Serval, female) bred back to a Serval. The F2 generation, which has a Serval grandparent and is the offspring of the F1 generation female, ranges from 25% to 37.5% Serval. The F3 generation has a Serval great grandparent, and is 12.5% Serval.

A Savannah/Savannah cross may also be referred to by breeders as SVxSV (SV is the TICA code for the Savannah breed), in addition to the filial number. Savannah generation filial numbers also have a letter designator that refers to the generation of SV to SV breeding. The letters are A, B, C and SBT. A designation of A means that one parent is a Savannah and the other is an outcross. B is used for both parents are Savannahs with one of then being an "A". "C" is both parents are Savannahs and one of them is a "B". Therefore A x (any SV) = B; B x (B,C,SBT) = C; C x (C, SBT) = SBT, SBT x SBT = SBT. F1 generations Savannahs are always A since the father is a non-domestic outcross (the Serval father). F2 generation can be A or B. F3 generation can be A, B or C. F4 Generation is the first generation that can be a championship breed SBT.

Being Hybrids, Savannahs typically exhibit some characteristics of hybrid inviability. Because the male Savannah is the heterozygous sex, they are most commonly affected, in accordance with Haldane's rule. Male Savannahs are typically larger in size and sterile until the F5 generation or so, although the females are fertile from the F1 generation. As a result, females of the F1-F3 generation are usually held back for breeding, with only the males being offered as pets. The reverse occurs when you reach F5 generation, but to a lesser degree, with the males being held as breeding cats, and females primarily offered as pets.

fyi: they DO have Savannah cat rescue shelters if you look around. bengals have been around a lot longer in the states so are more popular, but savannah cats seem to have better personalities from what i've read.

The demand for these cats make it so the cats are hardly ever available via shelters/rescues.

Status
Not open for further replies.