Linux on your Xbox360...

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,289
Steam
mattressfish
This is actually 2 day old news, so some of you might have seen it. However, the haXors have apparently gotten unsigned code to run on the Xbox360! This is good news. Homebrew dashboards and a ton of other shit will be coming soon. The things that could be done with those processors. :drool:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/25/homebrew-xbox-360-runs-ubuntu/

The day that we all know will eventually come could be upon us: a hacker called Cpasjuste claims to have managed to get his Xbox 360 to run unsigned code in the form of the Ubuntu OS. An AVI video coupled with a rather flimsy walkthough guide is the evidence, which, to us, looks convincing. Alright, so there is a dodgy cut near the beginning of the video, but that happens to be followed by a "patched" copy of King Kong being booted, and then a string of Linux command line text, and eventually the Ubuntu boot screen. The instructions for doing it yourself require that you own an Xbox 360 with an exploitable kernel, a flashed DVD drive, a serial adapter, a patched copy of King Kong, and a "Xell" loader and a "powerpc toolchain" -- whatever they are -- but if you've got all that and the whole thing isn't an elaborate hoax, then there's nothing else to say but the sky Microsoft's ability to patch is now the limit for homebrew on the Xbox 360. It's about friggin' time.

It still currently requires a lot of shit to make it work, but the mountain has been summited. Anyone else excited?

I'm sorry it isn't some tree clearing machinery that is running linux for you.

OMGz0RZ I GOT LINUX RUNNING ON MY CORDLESS PHONE AND NOW I CAN TELNET TO MY TIVO BOX FROM THE COUCH AND DELETE RECORDINGS CUZ ITS 4 MICROSECONDS FASTER

So, with this discovery - one could develop code for the xbox360 without having to go through the whole M$ development package crap :drool:

Need an xbox with old firmware. Thats the problem.
I swear that I remember a few months ago reading that someone was able to roll theirs back...
OMGz0RZ I GOT LINUX RUNNING ON MY CORDLESS PHONE AND NOW I CAN TELNET TO MY TIVO BOX FROM THE COUCH AND DELETE RECORDINGS CUZ ITS 4 MICROSECONDS FASTER

So, with this discovery - one could develop code for the xbox360 without having to go through the whole M$ development package crap :drool:
Yep. You'd just have to write linux code. :D

Whatever you do, don't let SchmilK see this post, he's got this absurd and really obscene fascination bordering on obsession with Linux.

Look at all the games you bought. You probably could have already bought a second xbox for that price...

I just got Rainbow 6 and GRAW 2, and am now drooling over Crackdown. You don't need to point out the numbers to me.

I swear that I remember a few months ago reading that someone was able to roll theirs back...

I looked it up over the past few days. It may well be possible if you have an early build, but its not possible on any 360s that have been updated past 4552 as some efuses were broken with that update.

For those who don't know, an efuse is an IBM technology that basically allows them to change little parts of the processors operation at will. Its been suggested that the Xenon processor has at least 1000 efuses that can be changed to break hacks like this.

I looked it up over the past few days. It may well be possible if you have an early build, but its not possible on any 360s that have been updated past 4552 as some efuses were broken with that update.

For those who don't know, an efuse is an IBM technology that basically allows them to change little parts of the processors operation at will. Its been suggested that the Xenon processor has at least 1000 efuses that can be changed to break hacks like this.

Xenon? Its an Intel processor in the 360?

edit: nm, I see my error. Im a little unsober right now. :fly: