Linux is awesome...

fly said:
Or if you want to setup a server and forget about it.

The bottom line is that Linux is only worthwhile for SERVERS. It is not a realistic desktop solution, nor is it anymore secure on a desktop than Windows is from a user perspective. And it's too complex for Sally Sue Larson the Receptionist to use on a regular basis.

Linux gurus continually argue that Linux can cure cancer, bring harmony to the universe, and make Pakistan and India bed buddies. As soon as the desktop arguement comes up however they cough and sputter and then mubble something about "r00t = g0d" before shuffling off to the Penguin Cave to post on linux boards about how much Windows sucks.

Microsoft admins see Windows as a tool to do a job, Linux admins see their favorite flavor of Linux as a way of life.

Much like god, if you do your job right no one can tell that you're doing your job at all.

And I agree that linux doesn't have a place on the desktop, though it could for specific applications.

KNYTE said:
The bottom line is that Linux is only worthwhile for SERVERS. It is not a realistic desktop solution, nor is it anymore secure on a desktop than Windows is from a user perspective. And it's too complex for Sally Sue Larson the Receptionist to use on a regular basis.
Who the hell puts linux on a desktop, other than spange?

itburnswhenipee said:
Much like god, if you do your job right no one can tell that you're doing your job at all.

And I agree that linux doesn't have a place on the desktop, though it could for specific applications.
We use it as a citrix client for dummy terminals.

itburnswhenipee said:
Well, you carry on paying exorbinant licensing fees to run your little file server there, champ, and I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

I was talkin about a desktop. Not a server. A server you setup and leave it. But still, all those bitches need to start working together and make it worth a shit. Any version of Linux that is worth a shit costs money and that doesn't make it free.

SpangeMonkee said:
I was talkin about a desktop. Not a server. A server you setup and leave it. But still, all those bitches need to start working together and make it worth a shit. Any version of Linux that is worth a shit costs money and that doesn't make it free.

Good point.

We use SLES (Suse Linux Enterprise Server) for several of our servers (which the licenses cost only slightly less than a W2k3 one does by the way) and all our Linux admin does is complain about Gentoo (his preferred distro) could do everything better than both SLES or Windows could.

Which is exactly why Linux (in a general sense) will never have as large a stake in the game as M$ does. Because nothing with Linux is standard. You bring three Linux admins into a room (one at a time) and ask them which version of Linux is best for your application and you will likely get 3 different answers.

For the record I think Linux does what it is supposed to do very well, but I think the insane fanboyism surrounding Linux is unnecessary and lame. It's a tool, you use a tool to do a job, then you go home. You don't need to bash everything else under the sun because it's not as "l33t".

Don't ban me Fly, you know I love you. :heart:

Last edited:
I can't agree with you more that linux has a standards problem. There are 10 different apps installed standard that allow you to look at and edit a file. Its silly really.

elpmis said:
go eat some poop fly
poopcat15xf.jpg