Like W_A_W needs more monies...

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
Time Warner is going to start charging for overusing your internetz. What would this do to the online community? What would this do to people who game constantly throughout the evenings? Looks like Verizon is going to be getting a surge in Fios users. Guess I better go back to watching cable while its on instead of downloading it later :eek:

Cliffs

*You will be charged $1 for each gig over 5gb(depending on service type)
*For people who can only receive Time Warner it would be a monopoly
*Multi-Level service

Story

An announcement from Time Warner Cable has stated that they are planning to charge consumers $1 for each gigabyte of content over their allotment. This testing on metered Internet access will start in Beaumont, Texas. Time Warner Cable is a cable operator in the U.S. dealing with the development and launches of innovative video, data and voice services. The company also delivers advanced products and services such as video-on-demand, high-definition television, digital video recorders, enhanced TV features, high-speed data, and Digital Phone. The move has immediately drawn criticisms as it is seen as an abuse of regional monopoly. However, Time Warner Cable has maintained that this type of charging would actually help a majority of users since this would discourage the problem of 5 percent of customers using half of the capacity on local cable lines.

In an interview to AP Kevin Leddy, Time Warner Cable’s executive vice president of advanced technology, said, “We think it’s the fairest way to finance the needed investment in the infrastructure.” Reuters meanwhile reported that Time Warner Cable has new designs to provide multiple levels of service that would start at $29.95 per month for speeds of 768 Kbps, with a limit on downloads of 5 GB. This limit would amount to more than 340,000 e-mails, 170 hours of online games or downloading more than 1,300 songs. At the high end, customers could pay $54.90 a month for download speeds of 15 Mbps and a limit of 40 GB, which amounts to 124 hours of standard-definition videos or downloading over 11,000 songs.

Why dont they just install bigger tubes?

Last edited:
Screw TW if that is the plan. I will boycott the company even if it spins off into another company. It was their original idea. hmpf.

Come on now.. limiting? Money hungry fools.

Does anyone think this has anything to do with the new RIAA sting that they got going? "Metering" doesnt seem that far away from "Monitoring" to me.

I wish I could find that article about the new internet task force...

yeah, this is going to fail miserably...it sucks when parts of our company can't see their own hand in front of their face because the stock price suffers and screws the rest of us

This is what I mentioned earlier...

Proposed anti-piracy strategy grants authorities almost unlimited powers to invade citizens privacy
Posted on 28.05.2008 at 02:11 in Tech News by Mr. X

Wow, this is some sad, shocking, and vile news. Recent leaked information points the Canadian Conservative Government a participating member in international talks (aka G8 neocon agenda meetings) to develop a new international anti-piracy agreement under the guise of an anti-counterfeiting shroud. The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement would see Canada join the U.S. and the European Union in a coalition against copyright infringement. The leaked anti-counterfeiting strategy purportedly originated from the U.S. government. The talks, taken behind closed doors so that regular people don’t get to know about until it’s too late, will grant almost unlimited powers for the police and government to monitor any and all activities of Canadian file-sharers.

The legislation will encourage ISPs to monitor the online activities of their customers, and report any and all activity that may infringe copyright law. The agreement covers the copying of information or ideas in a wide variety of contexts. For example page three, paragraph one is a “Pirate Bay killer” clause designed to criminalize the non-profit facilitation of unauthorized information exchange on the internet. Border guards and other public security personnel could become copyright police under the deal. They would be charged with checking laptops, iPods and even cellphones for content that “infringes” on copyright laws, such as ripped CDs and movies. The guards would determine what infringes copyright. The agreement says any copied content would be open for scrutiny — even if it was copied legally. This new agreement goes way beyond the bound of reasonable, it’s Orwellian, unethical, police-state and Nazi-ideologist. I will do everything in my power to educate the public about this horrible modern atrocity that could come to realization if we do not take a stand immediately. This effects everyone, not just Canadians, this agreement is international covering Japan, Switzerland and the European Commision.

Note, gaming really doesn't use much bandwidth. It's the patch files, maps, etc that use a lot of bandwidth. Then throw in Windows Updates, various other updates for programs, etc. I think 5GB on the RR Lite package isn't enough. I think 10GB to 20GB would be more generous if they insist on doing this (which I think will happen). Once one major ISP in the nation does this, the others will follow. Much like the bandwidth shaping.

That's why I download torrents while at the place I spend 40+ hours a week. Azureus can get around packetshappers if configured right.

I used to but I got a heads up they were going to start popping people for it so I quit...azureus was getting in and out of here just fine