Ontopic Lettuce discuss cocktails

Polo would never work in an establishment that would serve the likes of you.

Too true. He would serve drunken students wanting a euro a pint to get slashed on and inevitably vomit down their overpriced clothes.

He would not however get customers who would ask him questions such as 'Double gin please?' and '1911 saw the birth in Paris of which artist who died in 2010 aged 98 and whose works include the sculpture mamont in the form of a large spider which she described as 'as ode to my mother'?'

Too true. He would serve drunken students wanting a euro a pint to get slashed on and inevitably vomit down their overpriced clothes.

He would not however get customers who would ask him questions such as 'Double gin please?' and '1911 saw the birth in Paris of which artist who died in 2010 aged 98 and whose works include the sculpture mamont in the form of a large spider which she described as 'as ode to my mother'?'

Want to know the upsetting thing? I knew it was Louise Bourgeois, my girlfriend did her dissertation on her. I was just paralyzed from fear. Worst experience of my life.

I know a huge wine connoisseur who is actually a professor at a major uni teaching about wine. His wine tastings can be pretty interesting when he's talking about how stuff is made and the history of a certain wine or why its best aged for so many years... But I find his actual descriptions of wine pompous at the very least. Like a typical alcohol snob he uses adjectives which would otherwise make no sense when describing any other beverage or food in the world in order to sound smart and sophisticated, but really its just a ruse to use very generic terminology with no real meaning. For example, I have never described pepsi as having a very "deep" taste.

His best advise though is everyone likes different stuff so anyone elses opinion on an alcoholic beverage is meaningless, find something you like instead of listening to the hype.

Your paralysis was evident. Perhaps it was being in the presence of a legend such as Paxman dear.

7 HD cameras pointed directly at my massive head and make-up covered black eye. No drink in days. No sleep. I don't recommend it.

I know a huge wine connoisseur who is actually a professor at a major uni teaching about wine. His wine tastings can be pretty interesting when he's talking about how stuff is made and the history of a certain wine or why its best aged for so many years... But I find his actual descriptions of wine pompous at the very least. Like a typical alcohol snob he uses adjectives which would otherwise make no sense when describing any other beverage or food in the world in order to sound smart and sophisticated, but really its just a ruse to use very generic terminology with no real meaning. For example, I have never described pepsi as having a very "deep" taste.

His best advise though is everyone likes different stuff so anyone elses opinion on an alcoholic beverage is meaningless, find something you like instead of listening to the hype.

Good advice. While I agree that descriptors can be overly pompous I have to say I can taste a wide variety of things in wines and whiskeys etc. so I can understand where they're coming from. I'd love to be a sermellier (sp?) but it'll never happen.

7 HD cameras pointed directly at my massive head and make-up covered black eye. No drink in days. No sleep. I don't recommend it.

Diazepam and a few scotches would have cured that right up. You ever watch the program on the BBC about the genius' on UC who ended up completely mentally ill/broke etc? There was one exceptionally bright bloke on there who was talking about how he's been an alky for many years and was steaming when he was on the show but still managed to single handedly win.

PS I got 60+ points for that show. Which isn't all that impressive but still. Had I been able to do it under pressure is another thing, but I shall never know.

I don't doubt that at all. It looks attainable when you're at home. I now have a new-found respect for participants on 'The Cube'.

If you do decide to apply, I'll give you our test sheet, which I heard they haven't changed in years.

I don't doubt that at all. It looks attainable when you're at home. I now have a new-found respect for participants on 'The Cube'.

If you do decide to apply, I'll give you our test sheet, which I heard they haven't changed in years.

Would never apply, I don't think the OU even have a team and if they did there's much brighter people out there considering the average applicant is much older than myself. A copy of the test sheet would be awesome to see though. :cool:

Diazepam and a few scotches would have cured that right up. You ever watch the program on the BBC about the genius' on UC who ended up completely mentally ill/broke etc? There was one exceptionally bright bloke on there who was talking about how he's been an alky for many years and was steaming when he was on the show but still managed to single handedly win.

We had been tempted to hit the drink beforehand. One of our entourage was still drunk and wiped when he made his way to the audience seat. Before going on stage he leaned into my ear and said "I'm going to watch YOU... the ENTIRE show"

Would never apply, I don't think the OU even have a team and if they did there's much brighter people out there considering the average applicant is much older than myself. A copy of the test sheet would be awesome to see though. :cool:

Open Uni won a few years back, they've certainly been on more times than Queens. You're right, they're all mature students, but that doesn't make it any less of an experience.

PM me your email address and I'll send it in a mo

We had been tempted to hit the drink beforehand. One of our entourage was still drunk and wiped when he made his way to the audience seat. Before going on stage he leaned into my ear and said "I'm going to watch YOU... the ENTIRE show"

Would have flipped him the bird as if he'd just cut me up. Everyone reacts differently to pressure I suppose. I wonder what the psychological difference is. I've never felt an iota of concern about any test or exam, maybe I just genuinely don't give a fuck, or perhaps I'm just an arrogant asshole, I'm unsure.

If you're referring to the 'cola' palate, then Pepsi could be described as having a taste which probes its depths.

Mccormick (cheap) always claimed vodka is vodka, all costs the same to make and all tastes the same especially once you mix it.
There was this vodka I got in a plastic blue bottle once that was horrible. It actually had a nauseating sorta hard water taste.

Idk anything about wine but a lot of subjects have a standardized vocabulary. Perfume has some fairly inventive adjectives. Colors...