Let's talk Christmas food

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,356
Last Christmas we ate nothing because we were enroute from Morocco to Spain so the day passed us by without note really. The year before we had a vegan Christmas spread which was made by a friend so I just got to eat the lovel food but this year it's up to me. We have just the two of us and also a vegan friend who is on a restrictive diet (not the veganism) where he can't eat any sugars, natural or otherwise, and no yeast etc. etc. so I'm going to have to think very carefully about what to cook.

I think I'll do:

Roast potatoes
Nut roast (if the friend can eat nuts, not sure if they're allowed in his diet)
The usual veg: carrots, brussel sprouts, petit pois.
Leeks in white sauce (using soy milk of course)
Roasted veg, sweet potato, parsnip etc.
Sage and onion stuffing
Onion gravy

Not really sure about the rest, or even pudding seeing as there is no sugar, which means not even a fruit salad.

Sounds like a nightmare!

How many people are you cooking for/what are your kitchen plans?

christmas dinner is nowhere near the production that is thanksgiving in my family. my mom always cooks christmas dinner, and she generally makes filet mignon. i'll usually make one or two of the side dishes, maybe this year i'll make that kickass brussel sprout hash that Valve and I made, or my ginger glazed carrots, or something else entirely.

however, it is not Christmas in my family unless there is chex mix made by the gallons, and my mom and i work ourselves to the bone making about 90 dozen christmas cookies for family and friends.

:drool: Peanut butter cookies sound :drool: I've never actually made cookies, sweets aren't my thing in the kitchen.

after my grandmother passed away, my mom and i took the reins for the family baking. i find it so relaxing to bake, almost moreso than making anything else in the kitchen.
for the peanut butter cookies, we'll either do just straight up peanut butter, or i'll make my chocolate peanut butter double doubles :drool:

That sounds like so muh fat it's delicious :drool: I'm actually going to try not to eat too much this Christmas, I'm trying to lose weight/maintain my weight at the moment so anything I can do to help will be good.

the average person only gains about 1-2 lbs over the holidays. i'm planning on running or going to the gym with my best friend just about every day i'm home, so that'll help too. i've been such a slug since thanksgiving :(

the average person only gains about 1-2 lbs over the holidays. i'm planning on running or going to the gym with my best friend just about every day i'm home, so that'll help too. i've been such a slug since thanksgiving :(

That's not too bad, and my big problem is that I can snack all day long if I want to. I need to stick to eating substantial meals and not eating crap all day long, which will be hard because I've been stocking up my cupboards for a few weeks now with cookies and shortbread and chocolate mints and such. But then it doesn't feel like Christmas without chocolate mints.

Christmas eve is a dinner with my dad's side of the family. This year will be twice baked potatoes with ranch dressing thrown in the mix, red cabbage, 3 types of pie, hoomemade dinner rolls, prime rib, about 10 other sides, tons of cookies and copious amounts of wine to get through the evening.

Christmas morning is more cookies and Aebleskivers. Basically light Danish round spiced pancakes, served with a side of powder sugar or selection of homemade jams. Sausage and bacon and toast, of course, served. This year, I might push for mimosas to be served, too.

Christmas day dinner is with my mother's side of the family. Looks to be mac and cheese and honeybaked ham (rednecks I don't like associating with). Again with copious amounts of wine and beer to drown out the sorrows.

I'm hosting post-Christmas dinner for my brothers and Ryan's family on Saturday the 27th.

I was thinking lasagna but I'm not sure. We're driving back from St. Louis on Friday so whatever I make needs to be pretty easy.

I made a kick ass rosemary beef stew last night. I might just make a couple of lasagnas, beef stew and a bunch of whatever.

Morning times I will make a cinnamon rasin bread pudding with cinnamon syrup. Holy delicious.

I don't eat pork, so the traditional ham thing is out, and I already did the big thanksgiving dinner. I spent 7 hours in the kitchen cooking this meal all by myself and fuckers ate and left in less than 4 hours... and didn't even help clean up. Not doing that again

I'm hosting post-Christmas dinner for my brothers and Ryan's family on Saturday the 27th.

I was thinking lasagna but I'm not sure. We're driving back from St. Louis on Friday so whatever I make needs to be pretty easy.

I made a kick ass rosemary beef stew last night. I might just make a couple of lasagnas, beef stew and a bunch of whatever.

Morning times I will make a cinnamon rasin bread pudding with cinnamon syrup. Holy delicious.

I don't eat pork, so the traditional ham thing is out, and I already did the big thanksgiving dinner. I spent 7 hours in the kitchen cooking this meal all by myself and fuckers ate and left in less than 4 hours... and didn't even help clean up. Not doing that again
You just invited the wrong people. You know I would have totally helped out :heart:

Chim is going to make a cinnamon raisin bread for Christmas morning. I haven't told him, but I am going to make French toast out of it :drool:

You just invited the wrong people. You know I would have totally helped out :heart:

Chim is going to make a cinnamon raisin bread for Christmas morning. I haven't told him, but I am going to make French toast out of it :drool:

The most awesomest cinnamon syrup ever known to man, it tastes like Cinnabon:

1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup water

In a heavy bottom saucepan, whisk until sugar is completely dissolved, boil until mixture reduces to about 1 cup (about 10-15 minutes)

remove from heat, add 2 tablespoons heavy cream and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, whisk until combined... serve warm.

:drool: I promise it won't disappoint.

I want more friends to be here for Christmas weekend, wanna come visit us?