WTF Let's Do The Time Warp Agaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!

I am meerly mixing Ape's sound advice that enforcement (negative or positive) needs to be clear and quick to be useful. The fear of being paddled works the same as actually getting paddled because it is quick (the threat happening right after the inappropriate action) and clear. Also what has to work is consistency. If dad doesn't deliver when he gets home, then the threat is just words and powerless.

So for the schools to successfully deliver this type of negative enforcement and to be effective, it has to be quick and clear and consistent. If a child is causing issues, the school can say "Wait until your dad comes to get you or wait until tonight for your punishment" but if the parent decides not to, there was not punishment done. The child will just do the action again.

If, however, the school as the power to perform enforcement of a behavior straight away (either with direct paddling or with a threat of paddling that has 100% consequences) then it would be effective indeed.

What would work would be a hybrid. If the school would threaten a paddling but hold off until the parents would come to pick the children up at school. Then the school can with witness the punishment or perform it under the direction and supervision of the parent.

My mother works with the school system and she notes that parents are not that interested in what the children are doing in school. There is very little feedback from teacher to parent and there is very little visibility. The teacher doesn't have time to call each and every parent in all of their classes about the actions of all of their students to all of those parents every day. And the parents aren't calling the school daily to ask how their kids are doing. Quite the opposite, I have seen parents be put off having to sign progress report forms for their kids because they just don't care to get that involved and trust the school is teaching students accurately.

And what of those situations where there are no parents? How would punishments be implemented then?

This just wreaks of non-parent. It's such a nicely put together theory, but that's it. The idea that we can implement a single solution to fix behavioral issues amongst multiple personalities is asinine. I've already posted numerous dynamics in this situation and no one has yet to address them.

The idea that the punishment has to be immediately after the action good for kids you can not communicate with clearly. Kids that have not yet learned to talk. Now with kids you can talk to, you don't have to punish every them physically all the time. You can educate them on their actions and the repercussions. Most kids when given some sort of respect, will react positively to it. Some won't, and that's where raising the punishment may be needed. But this should only come after many failed attempts to communicate the issue with the child. And at that point, the teacher should already have an open line of communication with the parents regarding the child's behavior, and thus can let the parents decide when it he become the right time to use physical punishment.

But just like all kids are different, so are all parents. Some parents are good loving parents who may be busy with their career's, but always keep with their children's life. Some are just lousy parents who don't care about their kids at all. Some are broke, some a rich. Some have 6 kids, Some have just one. Some are from culture X, and some are from culture Y. Some will not want anyone but themselves using corporal punishment on their child, some do not want corporal punishment for the child at all, and some would welcome the idea. Like I said, far too many dynamics for a single solution.

The same way they enforce fines on kids. Withold the diploma.

[Your Address]
[Your City, State Zip]
[Your email address]
[Your phone number]

[Date]

Principal [Full Name]
[School Name]
[Address]
[City, State Zip]

Dear Mr(s). [Principal's Last Name]:

I am writing to notify you that I am withdrawing my child, [Child's Name], from enrollment in the [School District Name] ISD. I will be teaching my child at home.

If you have further questions, please submit them to me in writing at the above address.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

[Your Address]
[Your City, State Zip]
[Your email address]
[Your phone number]

[Date]

Principal [Full Name]
[School Name]
[Address]
[City, State Zip]

I am writing to notify you that I am withdrawing my child, [Child's Name], from enrollment in the [School District Name] ISD. I will be teaching my child at home.

If you have further questions, please submit them to me in writing at the above address.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

I don't think sticking your kid on the rollercoaster all day while you're at work would fly as an acceptable form of home schooling

[Your Address]
[Your City, State Zip]
[Your email address]
[Your phone number]

[Date]

Principal [Full Name]
[School Name]
[Address]
[City, State Zip]

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

That also takes care of their discipline issue.

just read all 9 pgs.

most of you really have no idea what it's like in a classroom on a day to day basis.

Actually, since you are a teacher, this is a really good topic. If given the option and procedure to inflict corporal punishment on students, would you? Would you contact parents first? Afterward?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that corporal punishment doesn't work for everyone. For some it will make them worse.

I was just told that the elementary school I went to just decided to remove all recesses for 4-6 grades. That means they now have a lunch break, and that's it. Who in their right mind would think this is a good idea. They are 9-11 year olds, they need breaks to run around and burn energy. They are going to start having serious discipline issues and I'm sure "not have any idea why the sudden increase".

Last edited: