WTF Let's Do The Time Warp Agaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!

You can call me Liam if you like...

So far I'm pleased with Emmett's school. He's had some behavioral issues and the school went about forming a pseudo committee figure out exactly what the best course of action is.

You can call me Liam if you like...

So far I'm pleased with Emmett's school. He's had some behavioral issues and the school went about forming a pseudo committee figure out exactly what the best course of action is.

Sorry I'm used to people wanting to keep their real names out. I only use Juli's because that was her screen name before.

Did you know in Fairfax County (this is more in regards to high school) that if a child is caught in a fight the teacher is not allowed to touch any student (meaning the only people that can break up a fight are students themselves)

I think the rules regarding school staff and conduct with students are way too strict.

Sorry I'm used to people wanting to keep their real names out. I only use Juli's because that was her screen name before.

Did you know in Fairfax County (this is more in regards to high school) that if a child is caught in a fight the teacher is not allowed to touch any student (meaning the only people that can break up a fight are students themselves)

I think the rules regarding school staff and conduct with students are way too strict.

For the most part, school officials should keep their hands of the children. In the case of breaking up a fight I can see the need to step in to protect a child. I can also see the ability for kids to sue teachers if the teacher accidentally touched them in the wrong spot or accidentally hurt them.

they are at school the majority of the day - if they are acting up, I want them to be disciplined.

discipline in school (i suspect i'm the last person to leave school here) was absolutely piss. when i was under 16 the school could put me on detention on a thursday only, maybe suspend me (what a great punishment) and when i was over 16, there only very serious breaches would result in me being suspended. there were never any kids excluded from my school.

having said that, i didn't do anything worthy of discipline in school. and if i did, i wasn't caught. the code of discipline certainly wouldn't have put me off if i were that way inclined.

I'm not a parent either, although I would very much like to be. I agree with April. Suddenly we've all become sissies and think that children need to be coddled. My parents would certainly have supported the school's decision to paddle me for acting out consistently. Consequently I did not. My sister's an elementary school teacher in Fairfax County, VA and I know she wishes there were some bigger consequences for kids to face than having to go sit in a corner for a little while. More and more parents are not disciplining their children effectively and classrooms are disrupted more often. This is causing the quality of education to drop considerably since teachers have to spend more and more time on disruptive behavior. When I was in elementary school it would not have occurred to me to get up during a lesson and run around the room or chat with my neighbor during instruction time for fear of the consequences that certainly included the possibility of paddling. Now children think nothing of this behavior. The threat is enough I think, of course it needs to be a real threat so I suppose it has to happen in clearly defined cases. I also know that my parents knew and trusted the school teachers and administrators when I was growing up. I don't think they would have sent me to the schools I went to if that were not the case. I'm not saying all parents are bad, but we live in a culture now where every kid gets a trophy regardless of whether they suck or not and most children believe there aren't serious consequences for their actions because they never encounter more than a "time out" for bad behavior. 6-10 minutes sitting in a chair in the corner hardly seems like a deterrent to me. Public schools today have few options. I feel for them.

Last edited:
Just so people are aware. I'm not against corporal punishment for my child, I'm against others deciding what actions do and do not deserve corporal punishment for my child.

I'm not a parent either, although I would very much like to be. I agree with April. Suddenly we've all become sissies and think that children need to be coddled. My parents would certainly have supported the school's decision to paddle me for acting out consistently. Consequently I did not. My sister's an elementary school teacher in Fairfax County, VA and I know she wishes there were some bigger consequences for kids to face than having to go sit in a corner for a little while. More and more parents are not disciplining their children effectively and classrooms are disrupted more often. This is causing the quality of education to drop considerably since teachers have to spend more and more time on disruptive behavior. When I was in elementary school it would not have occurred to me to get up during a lesson and run around the room or chat with my neighbor during instruction time for fear of the consequences that certainly included the possibility of paddling. Now children think nothing of this behavior. The threat is enough I think, of course it needs to be a real threat so I suppose it has to happen in clearly defined cases. I also know that my parents knew and trusted the school teachers and administrators when I was growing up. I don't think they would have sent me to the schools I went to if that were not the case. I'm not saying all parents are bad, but we live in a culture now where every kid gets a trophy regardless of whether they suck or not and most children believe there aren't serious consequences for their actions because they never encounter more than a "time out" for bad behavior. 6-10 minutes sitting in a chair in the corner hardly seems like a deterrent to me. Public schools today have few options. I feel for them.

:heart: We always agree.

Children are like puppies. You must be consistent with discipline and it must be immediate upon the wrongful action. Waiting until they get home to their parents is not going to fix the problem because by then the kids feel they got away with it for so many hours.

Just so people are aware. I'm not against corporal punishment for my child, I'm against others deciding what actions do and do not deserve corporal punishment for my child.

I can respect this, so I guess it's good to have very open lines of communication with the school. I just think corporal punishment should be immediate that way the child connects the punishment with the crime directly. However, I realize every child is different so it's really a tough call. Just one more thing to be conflicted about when I have kids. Yippie.

Children are like puppies. You must be consistent with discipline and it must be immediate upon the wrongful action. Waiting until they get home to their parents is not going to fix the problem because by then the kids feel they got away with it for so many hours.

It's worked for my child so far, so I have to disagree with you due to experience.

I tell you what though, I never came so close to hitting a child as I did this morning when, after having a migraine on the red-eye from Vegas, I was attempting to get some sleep during my three hour layover in Atlanta from 5-8 AM, this small child walked up to me and started screaming in my face. As soon as I was coherent enough to wrap my head around what was going on I decided I actually wanted to hit the parents who were paying no attention at all to their kid. I could have grabbed the boy and walked off with him and these parents wouldn't have noticed. He looked to be about 3 or 4. Then I discovered that this charming family was going to be on the plane to Baltimore with me, sitting 2 rows behind me. I considered suicide but I simply didn't have enough energy. I still hate those people though.

Last edited:
why not just fine the parents $100. I'' bet the parents would be more apt to instill some discipline in their kids if that was the case, plus the schools could probably use the money. Granted, there is the possibility that the schools would abuse it, but they could also abuse to corporal punishment as well.

:lol: Clearly your parents did it wrong if you think that.

You don't think the "wait till your dad gets home" routine works? It gives a child hours to think and worry about what kind of hell is going to be unleashed, like sitting on death row waiting to be executed. There's a lot of power in fear.