WTF Lesbians not allowed to go to prom

So you think it's fine for their parents to teach these kids that others are inferior?

Yes, it's fine. Who cares what their parents teach them? People make up their own minds about things. My dad grew up hearing about how disgusting black people were. And yet he always taught us that people are equal. I, in turn, am a horrible racist.

So see? It doesn't matter what people are told.

Yes, it's fine. Who cares what their parents teach them? People make up their own minds about things. My dad grew up hearing about how disgusting black people were. And yet he always taught us that people are equal. I, in turn, am a horrible racist.

So see? It doesn't matter what people are told.

Coming up with your own opinion of people is one thing. But to tell someone else that they should treat others badly is a different thing.

Coming up with your own opinion of people is one thing. But to tell someone else that they should treat others badly is a different thing.

No it's not. It just ticks you off because you disagree with it. People do it all day every day, every time they express an opinion or judge someone. It's pointless to rally against stupidity and turn every little thing into a crusade. Just go on living and let it sort itself out. Eventually no one will care about who is or isn't gay. People will realize what a hilariously trivial issue it is and that will be that.

These parents telling their kids that gay people are wrong in some way isn't going to ruin anyone's life. Especially when they get to college and beyond and realize that most people will villify them for that behavior, and that if they expect to get a head they will need to open their minds. I can't think of very many places where bigotry is embraced. And that says a lot. Especially when I live in the Bible Belt.

No it's not. It just ticks you off because you disagree with it. People do it all day every day, every time they express an opinion or judge someone. It's pointless to rally against stupidity and turn every little thing into a crusade. Just go on living and let it sort itself out. Eventually no one will care about who is or isn't gay. People will realize what a hilariously trivial issue it is and that will be that.

These parents telling their kids that gay people are wrong in some way isn't going to ruin anyone's life. Especially when they get to college and beyond and realize that most people will villify them for that behavior, and that if they expect to get a head they will need to open their minds. I can't think of very many places where bigotry is embraced. And that says a lot. Especially when I live in the Bible Belt.

Aren't you in Texas? Texas doesn't hold a candle to Georgia and Alabama when it comes to bigotry. (at least from my experience)

This only happens when people are told it's wrong, shown it's wrong, then they can slowly incorporate it into their lives. It's not a magical spell that is cast over society that slowly people grow out of this bigotry themselves. They learn bigotry or they learn tolerance/acceptance. You still need to tell these stories and show why they are wrong, it is the acceptance of this that is what slows the intolerance down to hilarious levels. But it has to start somewhere and it has to start personally. Do you think after learning this life lesson (one of many I am sure they had learned earlier in development) these kids will stay intolerant of gays or will instantly be accepting? They learned that bigotry is ok and that you get national attention if you are against a human condition. You get to have your prom you wanted with the people you wanted at the cost of ruining other people's joys of joining you. If this doesn't stop, they have no reason to want to be more accepting later.

Well not really. I can't open this at work, but if it is the sorry of the gay boy that WAS allowed to go to the prom with his bf, his story is tragic, too. His family kicked him out for causing such a scene in their town with this attention. The few gay friends he did have at school are ignoring him how because of the attention they would get being associated with him, and he now has to live with another friend that is compassionate because his parents kicked him out. At least with Constance, her mother is bi and her family is very supportive of the whole thing. At least she has someone to turn to.

This only happens when people are told it's wrong, shown it's wrong, then they can slowly incorporate it into their lives. It's not a magical spell that is cast over society that slowly people grow out of this bigotry themselves. They learn bigotry or they learn tolerance/acceptance. You still need to tell these stories and show why they are wrong, it is the acceptance of this that is what slows the intolerance down to hilarious levels. But it has to start somewhere and it has to start personally. Do you think after learning this life lesson (one of many I am sure they had learned earlier in development) these kids will stay intolerant of gays or will instantly be accepting? They learned that bigotry is ok and that you get national attention if you are against a human condition. You get to have your prom you wanted with the people you wanted at the cost of ruining other people's joys of joining you. If this doesn't stop, they have no reason to want to be more accepting later.

And people ARE shown that it's wrong. Every day. Which is why I don't care if these parents are teaching their children that gays at a prom are weird. No one's life will be irrevocably altered because of it. Stupid people are stupid. I won't lose sleep over it.