lent

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so to the, oh, one of you who are catholic, are you going to give up something for lent?

and to those of you who aren't, if you chose to give up something for six weeks, what would it be?

sounds like you giving up catholicism is longer than six weeks. anything else that would prove to be a real challenge for you?

Yeah I gave up catholicism when I was 15 or 16 but I still identify myself as such. I tend to ignore lent though I've done it a few years. Drinking, junk food, Battlestar Galactica. Anything else I can give up for six weeks without a second thought.

I would include sex but that's not really a choice on my part. :fly:

So, I understand the origin of many of the traditions of the Church, but I don't understand this one.

Why exactly do people give something up for lent? Don't you have to give up meat (except fish on fridays)? I understand the fish thing, but what is the giving stuff up part all about?

So, I understand the origin of many of the traditions of the Church, but I don't understand this one.

Why exactly do people give something up for lent? Don't you have to give up meat (except fish on fridays)? I understand the fish thing, but what is the giving stuff up part all about?

Something about how we need to suffer I think...

Jon Stewart's take on the situation is the best:

Jews get Yom Kippur, they don't eat for one day and all their sins for the year are wiped clean. We get Lent which is 40 days. Even in sin we're paying retail.

I told that joke at work and even though my jewish boss found it hilarious the catholic neuroshrink in the practice started hollerin' "LOL MIKE TOLD AN ANTISEMETIC JOKE" :lol:

Jon Stewart's take on the situation is the best:

Jews get Yom Kippur, they don't eat for one day and all their sins for the year are wiped clean. We get Lent which is 40 days. Even in sin we're paying retail.

I told that joke at work and even though my jewish boss found it hilarious the catholic neuroshrink in the practice started hollerin' "LOL MIKE TOLD AN ANTISEMETIC JOKE" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I love him

So are shellfish considered fish? I know the Jews can't have shellfish (even though one of the docs conveniently considers shrimp "whitefish") :lol: Is there a distinction in christianity?