lending out money

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
^_^
Marklar
₥5
I was thinking about this on my drive to work today - I've got one friend that has owed me $100 bucks for about three months. I doubt I'll ever get it back at this point, I'll ask him the next time I see him despite the awkwardness of it all. Another dude owes me $10; he'll probably get it back to me, but if not it's only $10 bucks. Anyone else owed money? I hate it when people don't pay you back promptly; it's such a painful process. I've always made it a point to get cash back to someone a.s.a.p. if they spot me something.

I never loan money mostly because I don't have money but even if I did I wouldn't lend it out . . . and I don't lend items either. I'm miserly and damn proud of it.

If I do loan money to a friend or relative (I rarely do) I usually consider the money a gift and don't count on getting paid back. I don't tell them its a gift.
If they pay me back that's fine. I don't get stressed if they don't

If I do loan money to a friend or relative (I rarely do) I usually consider the money a gift and don't count on getting paid back. I don't tell them its a gift.
If they pay me back that's fine. I don't get stressed if they don't

And that's the way anyone should look at this setup

when i loan money to family i forget about it, especially because i almost certainly already owe them more than they are borrowing (but since no one is keeping track it's hard to say)

i don't loan money to friends. none have asked outright to borrow in a long time, and in the few situations where someone is hard up i focus on trying to help them in any way but financially.

put the $100 guy on a payment plan.

My old roommate used to try and sell me stuff like lcd's, RAM, dvd burners cause he was broke. And he tried to borrow money a few times. At one point, we were buying some uh, things off of the internet. I had the money to pay for it right then and it was about as much as my rent would be for the following month. I agreed to buy them if he covered the rent later. Then he didn't have the money and tried to borrow it. That sort of thing just pissed me off with him cause he was making six figures.

i honestly didn't know that people our ages still borrowed money from friends. i guess i've never thought about it.

I am in agreement with others in this thread of thoughts.... if you loan money to friends or family, do not expect to get paid back. No point in getting ruffled feathers over some cash. Just give if you can and never expect to see it again. If it comes back, nice surprise for you.

I am in agreement with others in this thread of thoughts.... if you loan money to friends or family, do not expect to get paid back. No point in getting ruffled feathers over some cash. Just give if you can and never expect to see it again. If it comes back, nice surprise for you.

I bet you lend out $100 bucks all the time and never expect it back, right? It's a $100 bucks. Plus, he said he'd pay me back promptly - my feathers aren't ruffled over the money really, although to me it is a lot of coin. It's just that he said he'd pay me back and he hasn't for 3 months. If you don't want to pay me back, fine, but don't say you will and then don't - had you told me you wouldn't pay me back the $100 bucks I wouldn't have lent it to you in the first place.

Last edited: