Left 4 Dead

you suck balls

NO_U.jpg

Pushed it out unfinished?? What was unfinished about it?

Hmm, where to begin....

- The fact that were numerous spots on Blood Harvest where you could fall through the map and not actually die, just be stuck forever.

- The hunter being able to phase through the safe room door and pounce "safe" survivors.

- The smoker being more or less entirely useless until several updates later (and he's still the most nerfed infected on your REGULAR L4D server).

- The horrendous number of ways to exploit the Tank/infected spawning in Versus.

- Several points where you could hide as survivors and effectively hold out for eternity if need be.

- The Tank only being able to attack one survivor at a time, thus making him prone to "herding" by the survivors and wiping him out in seconds.

I don't need a "perfect" game to have fun. L4D was awesome while it lasted (until I got bored of it). The 2nd will be awesome too. And the 3rd. And the 4th. And on and on until they run out of room on the cover to put additional hands with fingers.

I don't need a "perfect" game to have fun. L4D was awesome while it lasted (until I got bored of it). The 2nd will be awesome too. And the 3rd. And the 4th. And on and on until they run out of room on the cover to put additional hands with fingers.

I play Left 4 Dead on a regular basis, regardless of its flaws, and the fact that it was released as only half-a-game, it is still an incredible gaming experience.

L4D2 should be a $20 expansion, not a separate $40-$50 purchase.

While the reskin part is foolish, this guy on l4d411 did make some good points...

Some of you guys are really just plain retarded.

Really...

You claim:"It's Just a reskin" "it's an exact copy" " I could do this with the SDK"

My Claim: No it's not, Valve stated in the e3 expo that they are perfecting the l4d engine to run better, and do more. And the Director is massively changed, two major improvements.

If you knew anything about the SDK (though you seem like it can do anything), or even used it for 15 seconds other then mapping, you cannot alter the code much. Your basically stuck with what valve gave you. Sure you can bend the code a little in some cases, but for something this major, you just can't do it.

And even with updates to L4d1, The engine cannot support the Director 2.0, since uses weather changing (would have to use new entities on the map to define where to do weather), new paths ( I cannot imagine how many steps would be needed to created a maze, triggers, entities, and code to properly work with the director...), and I don't think you can start and 'stop' a horde ( though I may be wrong, just never used it).

Also my guessing is that the "engine" update just allows more zombies on screen at once, and maybe better performance on xbox.

Next, onto the reskin topic:

Ok, so I covered why it cannot obviously cannot run on L4D1, now onto the reskin part.

L4D2 features thousands of new textures, even an expert mod team cannot do that in a year.

New maps: 25 maps, possible for a mod team, but only when they are using preexisting textures.

New models: It looked to me like 90% of the zombies had new models, but 100% could support losing a leg, something not possible in l4d1, the models could not support it.

EDIT: Sorry, had to post this here, but I forgot the important topic of

Animations!

Yes animations, one of the most important parts of any game. And this game features tons of new ones for l4d two, the new infected have tons of animations that are just for them, and the improvements on the existing infected, so they look smoother. The weapon animations are new too. Also the facial animations for the survivors are new too (though not hard to create, just slightly time consuming). I would guess this would take a half year if the mod team had mocap suits, but I dont think any do, so it would be done by hand, and look like crap. Also they would need the new models to make new animations for them, so add on the model time.
/edit

Also the new survivors, they are extremely detailed and polished. Once again, this is possible for a mod team, but I would give them a year to accomplish just this.

And finally: The sounds, there are TONS of new sounds in l4d2, new weapon sounds, a few new infected sounds (though they do reuse quite a few, but I like that since it would sound weird if they suddenly sounded different). And the THOUSANDS of new lines of dialogue with professional voice actors. A Mod team could NEVER pull something like this off, ever, they simply do not have the money or power to recruit high quality voice actors.

To finish the Reskin part, it is almost possible, but not. To have a quality mod team create this, it would take possibly 3-4 years to create, since they do not have the money or power to create anything fast or with extreme high quality.

So I have spelled out why L4D2 cannot be created in L4D1, I know it has only been a year, but just be happy that the valve team still loves l4d, because it seems like EP3 and Portal 2 are not getting as much love now. I can almost guarantee that valve will support l4d 2 with tons of content, since the new engine is so improved, that they will probably not need to create a new variant of an engine for 2-3 years.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, I just needed to get this off my chest since 99% of the posts on here hating l4d2 are because it is a "reskin", it just annoys me how retarded these people are, if you want to prove me wrong on any of these points, post it here with an example. I will change that section to reflect your view if proven right. And if you want to see proof of these changes, go open up the SDK, and try to create something that l4d2 features. Good luck, and I hope I did not crush your world, or your dumb ideas.

EDIT: It technically covers how l4d1 cannot be l4d2, but if you want to move it to other games forums, feel free to.

also fixed the time for a mod team to make this to support animations.

How are you still playing this o_O The guild Im in, in WoW (I hate them, it's a convience thing), has a server, listening to them talk about it is tres boring.