Learn new and interesting words thread

i like to think I've got a good vocabulary.

that being said, I also notice when people are saying (or writing) big words just to "sound smart". my bro's site www.mentalmagma.com (shameless plug) is FULL of his buddies who try and one-up the others continually. gets boring, tired.

THAT being said, there are words that convey the EXACT meaning of what you're trying to say. my teen's mom would accuse my mom of "using big words to make her feel dumb" when really my mom just is an insatiable reader with a great vocab. she still says stuff to me I've no idea what she means.

shally out.
there are definitely some really amazing and useful words. a particular columnist i used to read always had me going to the dictionary, but when you got there you realised that he had used his extensive vocabulary to succinctly write a complicated idea (that was usually also a scathing criticism).

don't hate, dharma.

i play a character on UF. just like you play a funny chick.

:lol: I choked.

nepenthe

1. A drug described in Homer's Odyssey that relieves one of emotional pain, grief or sorrow.
2. something capable of causing oblivion of grief or suffering

this past season that would be the lions really being that they went 0-16
i said obscure, not shitty. everyone knows the biggest loser. true obscurity comes from being the third or fourth worst team in a small market.

i said obscure, not shitty. everyone knows the biggest loser. true obscurity comes from being the third or fourth worst team in a small market.

can any nfl team really be called obscure? it's the biggest sport in the country

Pure*e*el? Is that how you say it?

Pure-aisle

Totally non-phonetic, but perhaps a better representation of the actual pronunciation.

I wonder what it was. I want some.

Hi FG. Long time no see. I know there was a thread about this but I didn't feel like spamming it without any real purpose. :) :heart:

Fuck yeah... I could use a double helping of that with a side of soma from Brave New World. Hell, I'd even like to wash it all down with a tall, cool glass of moloko synthemesc from A Clockwork Orange.

/fictional drug references
//feeling old
///get off my lawn

I've always pronounced it pwhere-aisle which is kind of running together the true latin pronunciation of poo-air which is boy in latin