Learn new and interesting words thread

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,113
Given that we all seem to like to read a lot of books, it's not a rare occurence that I come across a nice word that I pick up and like to drop into conversation (just to seem like an obnoxious prick). However yesterday I said the word pensive, and then had to explain what it meant. I thought that was a fairly well known word. Anyway here's one of my favourite words that you can use quite often, follow it with some of yours:

insouciant

adjective
marked by blithe unconcern; "an ability to interest casual students"; "showed a casual disregard for cold weather"; "an utterly insouciant financial policy"; "an elegantly insouciant manner"; "drove his car with nonchalant abandon"; "was polite in a teasing nonchalant manner"

Your turn. I want to be able to use at least 1 today!

I had to look this one up yesterday:

Specious

Pronunciation:
\ˈspē-shəs\
Function:
adjective

having deceptive attraction or allure: having a false look of truth or genuineness

i use uncommon words occasionally when i'm describing something to jess.

just the other day, i had to define "prehensile" for her.

to put it in context, i was talking about penis tricks.

There's no need to use a fancy word when a simple one will do unless you're trying to appear superior or are writing an English paper.

There's no need to use a fancy word when a simple one will do unless you're trying to appear superior or are writing an English paper.

I think people speak to their audience. When I'm around people that love words and love to read I will use a larger vocabulary than I would at work, for example.

callipygian
One entry found.

Main Entry:
cal·li·pyg·ian Listen to the pronunciation of callipygian
Pronunciation:
\ˌka-lə-ˈpi-j(ē-)ən\
Variant(s):
also cal·li·py·gous Listen to the pronunciation of callipygous \-ˈpī-gəs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Greek kallipygos, from kalli- + pygē buttocks
Date:
circa 1800

: having shapely buttocks

you're a liar. I have to google words when you IM me.

I figured you would be the one to call me out on that. I posted that thinking 'dharma says she has to look up words'. :lol: It's not on purpose, I never realized I did that until you told me. I thought it was regular, everyday conversation vocabulary.

rogered

Means the same as screwed or fucked. Generally used by guys to mean either the act of having sex with a girl (in an energetic fashion) or to mean that something is well and truly broken.

Used in a sentence:
W_A_W rogered the cabana boy.

whenever shalimar starts speaking street or polo starts speaking his crazy language i'm always looking shit up.

This thread is difficult to contribute to just like the gifted thread.

My favorite 20 dollar word is facetious. Everyone knows what it means tho. :fly:

book i'm reading right now has me jumping to the dictionary every other page.

execrable

–adjective
1. utterly detestable; abominable; abhorrent.
2. very bad: an execrable stage performance.

i really liked the context, struck me in a weird way.
"My execrable vanity is like that of the fabled cat who studied ornithology, m'Lord."