LCD TV on sale

This is what I have LNT4665F I bought it around 2 1/2 years ago
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT4665F-1080p-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000NVLQ72"]Amazon.com: Samsung LNT4665F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics[/ame]

I've never noticed any stutter on 60hz *shrug*

wouldn't the ms of the screen be a factor in that too?

plus I have wicked good eyesight and my eyes already do crazy shit sometimes. i think once i watch the tv for a while that i'll get used to it

I don't either, but apparently its there because A LOT of people say that 120hz looks too real.

the complaints I've heard of 120 is that the "too real" thing comes from it making an effect where it looks like everything was recorded on a handycam

That's funny. I guess a lot of people's eyes have become accustom to a 60hz stutter.
Most source material is only on 50hz-60hz masters. The "hyper-real" that people see are actually the people with less persistence of vision (better acuity), 120-140hz displays show extra frames to make the speed match. The hyper-real look is actually scans of the same or interlaced material. "Slow" would be a better technical term.

I was gonna type this out last night but decided against it. Movie theatres are 72hz, cept imaxhd which is 48*3. MPEG is a lossy format with interlacing so there is even less unique frames...

Flicker is also a technical term related to mechanical movie projectors. Each pulldown of 24 fps needs the shutter to open and close to prevent blurring, the closer the shudder speed is to the actual shooting speed the more "flicker" there is. Most projectors open and close the shutter 3 times on each frame so you get 24*3=72hz display and the flicker is not an issue because of persistence of vision.

Last edited:
judder. converting 24fps to 60 hz results in some frames being shown three times, the rest two times. makes motion slightly jerky. 24fps divides evenly into 120 hz eliminating judder. only applies to converting film to video.

Last edited:
judder. converting 24fps to 60 hz results in some frames being shown three times, the rest two times. makes motion slightly jerky. 24fps divides evenly into 120 hz eliminating judder. only applies to converting film to video.
Yeah but if you pulldown 3:2 you lose the information, the TV cant manufacture unique frames so it substitutes the information. Like say 24fps master has already been pulled down to 60hz, then you show it on a 120hz display, it shows 2 interpolated images for x ms instead of 4 of the same image.

All this is also moot if you dont have a blu-ray player with 1080/24 output anyway. Also lotta TV shows are shot on 25fps HDV cameras...

Edit: I cant do math at this time in the morning, hopefully by reading it you will understand what I mean.

Last edited:
samsung 40" 799 with free shipping
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40B530-40-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B001U3Y8OA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1250768922&sr=1-15"]Amazon.com: Samsung LN40B530 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV: Televisions & Video[/ame]

yup. i'm going to run some numbers today on the tv, a sailing vacation in the BVI's in november, and a trip to the emirates in february to see mom and the America's Cup races and see if I can make all three or if the t.v. has to get postponed... again.