Layoffs suck

lemon_fresh

Half-staff Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥5
They are letting 6 people go today at the newspaper where I work. Luckily I am not amongst that number, even though I do IT work, which pretty much means I sit around until something breaks.

If any one is exploring a career in journalism - DON"T as 3 of the six getting the axe are writers.

Layoffs do suck. Its happened to me twice. The first time I knew it was going to happen. The second time I had no clue. I was out of work for more than year.

Newspaper?

Get outta there as fast as you can :omy:

Newspapers'll be dead in a few years.

You sir are preaching to the choir. Hell I've been predicting doom and gloom for the newspaper industry for the past 5 years.
These guys may have been alright if they had done a highly leverage purchased of your local Chicago Reader. The economic slow down coupled with enormous interest payments crippled these guys I work for.
My long term plan - solar power baby.

In a sense the ones I feel the worst for are the writers. Writing jobs are few and far between and the competition for those few positions is fierce as the market gets flooded w/ journalism school graduates every year.
Blogging and other online journalism is sucking up some the supply, but the pay sucks. Those guys are in a world of hurt.
Sales people, well they have a more widely applicable skill, they can sell. Same thing with people from the operations side. But the writers, yeah the writers are pretty much all fucked.

I've been laid off once. Two months after buying a home, and three days after putting a deposit on my wedding. I was crushed.

But it worked out well, I got 2 months pay and a job a week after.

They seem sketchy on starting in January now so I am approaching complete layoff now myself. If I cannot find work within walking distance of Tampa Rd and Curlew, its off to Canada for me!