Laugh at the electronics n00b

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
I am making a carputer and I just ran into a problem.

So I was trying to power my USB hub in the trunk using a splice off of the 5V line off of my M2-ATX. I hooked everything up which ment the hub (of course), GPS receiver, Creative Labs MP3 sound card, and the EQ off of the sound card using RCA.

I didn't check the voltage coming from the "5V" line.

Turns out that I miswired the splice to the 12V line. Sent that signal to the back instead, frying my hub, sound card, GPS reciever, and possibly my EQ. The EQ wasn't on at the time, but the RCA cables were hooked up. There could have been some damage. :mad:

So learn from my mistakes people. Buy a voltmeter, check all connections, ALWAYS!

Now laugh uncontrollably because of my misfortunes.

What's with people putting computers in their cars? Watching too much Pimp My Ride lately? Popular trends are lame.

Sarcasmo said:
What's with people putting computers in their cars? Watching too much Pimp My Ride lately? Popular trends are lame.
Except I have been planning this well before Pimp My Ride even existed. Ask Coqui for proof.

Since I am pulling straight from a DC line, why do I need an AC-DC conversion?

Edit: Wow I suck.

Last edited:
Valve1138 said:
It's possible those all have replacable fuses so you may not be completely ass fucked.
I guarantee the hub and sound card are fried. The GPS appeared to work although a bit more inconsistent than before. The EQ, however, I am clueless about its current functionality.

dbzeag said:
Except I have been planning this well before Pimp My Ride even existed. Ask Coqui for proof.

Since I am pulling straight from a DC line, why do I need an AC-DC conversion?

Edit: Wow I suck.

Uhhhmmm, just a question out of the dark. Is this DC line you're pulling from rectified to 12volts? This is a car 12V system you're talking about -- they measure at 13V+ while operational.

SpyderGST said:
I hope you didn't let the magic smoke out. Smoke powers all modern electronics and once you let it out, they don't work so much anymore.
:fly: magic smoke makes me giggle everytime

Sarcasmo said:
SchmilK and I rig up the laptop in the car when we're on a roadtrip. We've got GPS, movies, games, everything. I'd be really afraid to hardwire a computer into the car with all of the thievery in teh world and all.

danvuquoc said:
Uhhhmmm, just a question out of the dark. Is this DC line you're pulling from rectified to 12volts? This is a car 12V system you're talking about -- they measure at 13V+ while operational.
The DC 12V line from my M2-ATX power supply. It is a regulated clean 12V line.